Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd May 2014, 08:50 AM

Default How Wide are MX5 Seats?

As per the title really. I am looking at what options I have for seats, in my last build I used the Mamba club seats but they were terrible quality. Tryng to find a seat from a production car that will fit. Can anyone with an MX 5 build measure the widest point of the seat and let me know the measurement please? If anyone has any other ideas what might fit I would welcome any suggestions. I don't want buckets or racing type seats, don't think they would look right.
Dave.
PS the budget is virtually non existent so can't afford new ones.
Old 5th May 2014, 10:40 PM

Lotus Exige! Dave Struve in used them, they look great and are super comfy. They do fetch ~1000 pounds on ebay usually though...

MX-5 seats need some trimming of foam and metal to fit the Locost chassis, perhaps they will just fit inside Haynes if you just remove the reclining mechanism.
http://www.cheapsportscar.net/diary.php?UID=207
Old 6th May 2014, 07:29 AM

I am doing an mx5 build, and after a lot of head scratching, I have decided to go down the Raw Striker route. I am going to build a bench seat with built in head rests, this way I can maximise the cockpit space. Woolies trim are really good, seat cushions are £20 each for a 4 inch foam, use a hessian liner over the foam, then cover in stretch viynl. My frame is going to be made from 19mm box, with ply self tapped or bolted into it. Each individual base will be on a runner, so at least you will have a few inches of adjustment on the base itself. Failing that, make your own buck using plyboard to get your seat shape, then use fibreglass to make the seat. I have had a gut full of fibre glass, that's why I am doing a bench seat. Lol
Old 6th May 2014, 09:52 AM

If you are using a standard chassis then the mx5 seat may fit. I think one of the problems with the mx5 builds is the tunnel is wider. Ive got seats from kit parts direct and they only just fit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 6th May 2014, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have had an idea which I think will help. When I built the tunnel I made it wide enough to accomodate the flange on the diff, which would actually be behind the seat when it is set up for my short arsed legs. I can therefore redesign the tunnel to give me an extra 40mm each side, which should make all the difference. It's a fair chunk of work but will be much better so I think that is the way to go. I then have a much wider choice of cheap seating at my disposal. Spending a grand on a pair of Exige seats simply aint goint to happen I don't think I will spend that on the whole car.
Dave.
Old 6th May 2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
As per the title really. I am looking at what options I have for seats, in my last build I used the Mamba club seats but they were terrible quality. Tryng to find a seat from a production car that will fit. Can anyone with an MX 5 build measure the widest point of the seat and let me know the measurement please? If anyone has any other ideas what might fit I would welcome any suggestions. I don't want buckets or racing type seats, don't think they would look right.
Dave.
PS the budget is virtually non existent so can't afford new ones.

The mx5 seats do not fit in the haynes frame I have been trying for months to come up with a plan even with a modified tunnel to give me more room the seats are about 470mm wide i have stripped mine and adjusted frame and sponge to make them the maximum width I can have!!!!! I'm going to take a seat to a trimmer next week to see how much it would be to get it covered or I might do it myself depends, it's a lot of work just for seats but if your uncomfortable you won't enjoy the hand built sports car on a long journey

Build pictures
http://s830.photobucket.com/user/brownster79/library/
Old 6th May 2014, 06:51 PM

If they are only 470mm wide I think I can make them fit I made a prop today - it's not the final one as I have no way of balancing a prop but it is made to the correct dimensions. I have been able to measure the space in the tunnel and can change it to give myself an extra 40mm or s, which should be just enough.
Thanks for the info.
Old 6th May 2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.brownster79 View Post
The mx5 seats do not fit in the haynes frame
I agree, drove me nuts trying to make mine fit a saturn chassis. I gave up!
Old 6th May 2014, 10:20 PM

I cut mine in half and removed 25mm off of each and welded them back together, cut the seat foam in half and glued it back together the back foam seems to sprayed onto the frame so I cut it down the centre and moved it away to cut the centre section out and welded it back together it worked out okay I put the covers back on but they are a bit loose, if you can make new covers or get them made they would look pretty good as they are quite a nice shape seats

Regards Mick.
Old 7th May 2014, 07:14 AM

My chassis is nowhere near standard, fitting the Jag V12 mechanicals has dictated a massive redesign of just about everything The problem is that the input flange for the diff is offset towards the driver's side so I had to make the tunnel much wider than I originally designed it. Having mocked up a prop I can now see that I can redesign the tunnel to give me the width I need. The front of the base of the seat is the widest point, this is well forward of the flange on the diff so I can make the tunnel at that point just a little wider than the prop shaft, that should give me about 40mm more width. I will look at other seats as well, maybe from things like Corsas and other small cars to see what works best. Mrs is pretty handy with a sewing machine so if I have to mod a stock seat it shouldn't be to big a problem.
Dave.
PS, hope that makes sense, I might take some photos later to illustrate the point.