Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th September 2013, 03:05 PM

Not much progress to report recently as I havne't really had much time.
I put a new start motor in which solved my cranking problems.
I have wired in to a basic level a NODIZ ECU, it was easy (haven't connected teh TPS yet on the carbs) the engine starts first time now, but currently wont rev at all. I suspect the fuel pump isn't a good match to the carbs so I'm waiting for a proper bike one in the post so hopefully that will solve that issue.

I've had this wheel a friend gave me for ages and I've finally found a boss kit for it that wasn't silly money. can't wait to put it on and pretend to drive!
Hope to make a bit more progress over teh next month tidying wiring and starting the dash etc. Still got wheels, lights, clocks gauges as the big expenses to go!

Untitled by mjb22001, on Flickr

Last edited by MikeB : 5th September 2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 9th September 2013, 01:14 PM

Managed to get a couple of hours in the garage this weekend.

New steering wheel is on, looks really nice!

Plumbed in a new fuel pump, engine runs nice now!! Will rev up now quite smoothly. Bike pump for bike carbs! (even though the one I had was meant to be compatible)

Fixed my welder and added a few mounts for the rear panel so that can be poperly secured and rear arches fitted.
Old 9th September 2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Managed to get a couple of hours in the garage this weekend.

New steering wheel is on, looks really nice!

Plumbed in a new fuel pump, engine runs nice now!! Will rev up now quite smoothly. Bike pump for bike carbs! (even though the one I had was meant to be compatible)

Fixed my welder and added a few mounts for the rear panel so that can be poperly secured and rear arches fitted.
Can you post a picture of how you are mounting the rear panel?

Thanks

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 7th May 2014, 01:54 PM

Been a slow few months, haven't really made any progress with my car
Really need to wrestle with my wiring loom to get it in place.
However I did make a dashboard yesterday, I'll get some pictures up when its sanded.

I used some 9mm marine ply reinforced across the bottom, with some quadrant beading across the bottom edge, but typically I've just read the IVA manual again and I've got the radius wrong thinking it was around 19mm diameter not radius, think I'm 5mm short in the radius department, shame as I've glued it all together . I could cover it some compressible material rather than carbon effect I was going to do it in or just remake it again.
Old 7th May 2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Been a slow few months, haven't really made any progress with my car
Really need to wrestle with my wiring loom to get it in place.
However I did make a dashboard yesterday, I'll get some pictures up when its sanded.

I used some 9mm marine ply reinforced across the bottom, with some quadrant beading across the bottom edge, but typically I've just read the IVA manual again and I've got the radius wrong thinking it was around 19mm diameter not radius, think I'm 5mm short in the radius department, shame as I've glued it all together . I could cover it some compressible material rather than carbon effect I was going to do it in or just remake it again.
I did the same thing! I measured my broom handle and bent the ally around it only to realise it was too small. I then covered it in camping mat and leatherette as the radius can be smaller if its padded.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 30th May 2014, 03:47 PM

Trying to get back on with my build. Thought I'd try and sort my wiring out. Went to retrieve the diagram and pin outs that came with my loom.. that really safe place I left it in.. doh can't find it anywhere! So I sat in the car last night and worked out most of the lighting circuit and column switches for the sierra, I'll have a few queries to resolve but hopefully not too many.

First one is the side lights from the stalk, think its slate grey colour, all other lights go to a relay but no relay for the side lights, does this wire go directly to the side lights?

Just ordered some dominators and front indicators so I can try a few things out. I used Furore, email russ on locostbuilders and if your nice they might give a discount. Will hopefully post my new headlights if they arrive this weekend all bright and shining! Along with my new (2nd hand wheels).
Old 30th May 2014, 06:47 PM

Mike,

You are correct. The grey wire from the light stalk feeds the side & tail lights directly.

I got my Dominators from Russ and they went through IVA no problems.

Dave

OTR 01/05/14 - 1.6 CVH, Type 9, Bike Carbs, Megajolt
Old 2nd June 2014, 10:56 AM

Headlights didn't arrive in time for the weekend but I put my new wheels on and gave her a clean up and took the chance to sweep out my garage (amazing how much dust and crud was in there)

Here she is, next shot will have headlamps fitted....
I was going to buy a new set of wheel in black but couldn't find the funds, found these cheap but was worried I wouldn't get the look I wanted with silver. However seeing it now I really like them, if not more so than what I originally planned. Think she'll look great when finished

20140601_172850 by mjb22001, on Flickrtps://flic.kr/p/nQ2H5m]20140601_172850[/url] by mjb22001, on Flickr

20140601_172548 by mjb22001, on Flickr

Last edited by MikeB : 2nd June 2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:28 PM

Looks great! I would make the exhaust hole in the side panel larger.
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:42 PM

Yep I thought that, I was admiring my accuracy with that hole but it does need to be bigger!