Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th August 2013, 04:36 PM

Oh, a couple of grinders are indispensable when building a chassis. One with a 1 mm cutting disk, another with a flappy disk (it's amazing how much difference the abrasive compound makes -- get a Zirconia one, it will last at 5-10x longer and cut steel easier). I have a third one mounted in a chopsaw-like holder.

The advantage of a pre-cut is that the first part of your chassis build will be like on fast-forward: 20 hours instead of 60 or so.
Old 30th August 2013, 05:17 PM

I like the idea of the first part being quite speedy, means I will have something to look at. itd easier to justify spending when you have more than a pile of box section. gives me all autum and winter to build chassis. and get rolling chassis. with christmas gifts to give it the added winter boost. I can work on running gear next summer. body work over winter (wife may by then get me body work for Christmas. SVA summer 2015 2years thats a speedy build. im guessing 1000 hours to finish. 52 weeks a year. thats a mere 10 hours a week. might take 3 years being realistic.
Old 30th August 2013, 05:22 PM

I like the idea of the first part being quite speedy, means I will have something to look at. itd easier to justify spending when you have more than a pile of box section. gives me all autum and winter to build chassis. and get rolling chassis. with christmas gifts to give it the added winter boost. I can work on running gear next summer. body work over winter (wife may by then get me body work for Christmas. SVA summer 2015 2years thats a speedy build. im guessing 1000 hours to finish. 52 weeks a year. thats a mere 10 hours a week. might take 3 years being realistic.
Old 30th August 2013, 06:30 PM

Yip flat pack is the way forward for sure,

Also have to say Rogue engineering are not that bad, he can be slow but hes not out to rip anyone.

The guys got feedback of near on 1000 with no negative in the last 12months, so peeps shouldn't be put off him. Ill buy my roll bar from him soon

like everyone else i've know to sell parts, these parts are a side earner. the stuff is made to order so some lag is to be expected. Although Arfon i don't know the exact details of your problems, your opinion may be well justified
Old 30th August 2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
Although I bought my chassis ready made cheap.

If i was starting again I would go with a flat pac. less danger to health, less chance of getting pi...ed off , no saw or saw hire to pay.. etc.

TT
I bought the lazer cut lower wishbone plates and some other items from him, paid for them straight away but it took me months and lots of threats/promises of bodily harm and paypal before he finally delivered

Arfon
Old 30th August 2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locost-turbo View Post
SVA summer 2015 2years thats a speedy build. im guessing 1000 hours to finish. 52 weeks a year. thats a mere 10 hours a week. might take 3 years being realistic.
It took me 750 hours over 3.5 years, including 7 months with 0 hours logged. Here's a summary of where the time went:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EE&usp=sharing

My record was 70 hours in one month, and 40-50 hours was a good month, and the average was 16 hours per month.

There are more than a few people who have built theirs in 6-12 months. Think about it, if you can steal a couple of hours each workday evening and two 6-hour sessions in during the weekend, you have 22 hours each week.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:44 PM

750 hours is good going I like a fair bit of faff time.

70 hours in a month my wife would leave me. and my kids (aged 4, 6, 16) would forget who I was.

I guess dependant on shifts I will be 5 - 10 hours a week.

so maybe 2 years is doable, I couldn't afford to finish in 6 months. one of my argument for building is its 100ish a month for a couple of years for a hobby. I can do bits with the kids as well.