Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd February 2010, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Ronnie I would be ready for a retest to be honest as the tester at Gillingham said nobody with a kit car ever passes first time, even if you make adjustments on the day that is still not considered as first time pass apparently.

hi vern the intake system is bike carbs they do have filters but they are minimal at best.

i will be playing about with different exit angles and different methods of noise suppression. I tried a bike can on the exhaust just to see if it made a difference and with the bike re-stricter that is built into the can it made the volume so low that the engine was much louder than the exhaust. once i have the db meter i will carry out some tests before and after to see how much i can actually get it down by without over restricting the flow.
Old 23rd February 2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
Ronnie I would be ready for a retest to be honest as the tester at Gillingham said nobody with a kit car ever passes first time, even if you make adjustments on the day that is still not considered as first time pass apparently.
Fully expecting a re-test Ash .... I can dream though

Realisticaly, i'll not be ready for IVA before spring next year

Not wanting to sound too callous, hopefully a clearer picture of what the examiners are expecting will emerge ..... To come home with a MAC certificate on the day will be a bonus .... Even if I have to jump hoops to get it

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 25th February 2010, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

been looking in to this db thing and its got to be done to db A

went to my mates tonight and got this db meter its a top of the line super duper calibrated thingy. im guessing it will be more accurate than the one vosa use as they use this puppie on planes as they have to keep them under a certain db so they dont piss off the people living around the field.

luckily the patch is totally waterlogged at the moment so i can keep hold of it for a wile

p.s it looks expensive so i better be careful with it.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:54 AM

"I would be ready for a retest to be honest as the tester at Gillingham said nobody with a kit car ever passes first time"

This is something the kit car world will have to get used to. The way the IVA is implemented is slightly different to the SVA as the SVA was only intended as a temporary measure.

The IVA will be 'tinkered' with, and updated by the VOSA on a regular basis keeping it up to date (closing loopholes etc), as is the case with the whole vehicle type approval.

For this reason it will be unlikely that anyone building a one off or kit car will pass first time and that needs to be taken into account at the begining of the build.

We see from Ash's experience that there is information the testers have in their manuals and training which seems not to be available to the general public. (i.e. I cannot find anything in the IVA manual about the required E marking of the side indicators - yet Ash recieved a fail and an explaination of why they failed).

And we also see differences between the way the same tests in the SVA and IVA are carried out - as in Ash's mirrors!

In my opinion it is essential for each of us who goes through the IVA test to report on our experiences so as to give those who follow the greatest chance of getting through but all who 'take the test' will need to prepare for that first failure

BV.
Old 25th February 2010, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

I think its just a case of sharing our experience with others in the aim that we can reduce their fail sheets.

At the end of the day its all new to everyone so we are just going to have to find new ways of passing the regulations.

personally im very happy that i come away with such a minor fail list. i didnt expect the car to pass first time and expected a retest.

I used adrian's experiences of his test to prepare for mine. i can tell you now it really helped as i didnt have any of the same problems as adrian because i addressed them prior to the test.

the iva isnt intended for these types of cars and as such, is a difficult thing to pass. that's not to say its impossible.
Old 28th February 2010, 04:59 PM

Smile Hows it going Ash ?

How is the work progressing on your Roadster Ash ? ..... Hopefully, you'll be nearing the end of your to do list !!

I like the solution that you have implemented to overcome the steering shaft issue .... That'll do the job nicely

Have you given any thoughts to the timescale of your re-test ? ...... You must be really exited about having the Roadster, road legal in the very near future

Old 28th February 2010, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

nearly done everything now ronnie. tried to remove the glass out of my r1 mirrors to replace it with a convex one today. borke the standard glass getting it out, then after hours of messing about with a diamond cutting disc and water bath managed to shape the new convex mirror to fit in the r1 mirror housing only to crack the bloody thing. im so pissed off i want to smash the car up.

have just bit the bullet and bought a set of westfield mirrors at stupid expense, if I cant pass with those then im guessing I will need to attach a bathroom mirror as I don't think you can get a bigger car mirror.

hope to get it in for retest either by the end of this week or early next week, just want the bloody thing done now.
Old 28th February 2010, 11:04 PM

Swap you for measuring a side panel wrong and cutting a hole for the lower wishbone in the wrong place. Had to make an entirely new side panel. It was totally awesome..... and by awesome, I mean I could have cried.

How did you get around the rear roll bar support? Mine is as per the book and it sounds like this might be a failure point. Although I can't see anything in the manual to support the testers claim!
Old 28th February 2010, 11:14 PM

So sorry to hear that bit of bad luck Ash

I can 100% understand you frustration mate .... Sometimes things just seem to conspire against you, at least it feels that way.

Chin up Ash .... When you are holding that MAC certificate , you'll be grinnig from ear to ear

Let's hope when we meet at Stonelegh, you'll be able to look back at all of the low points of the build & smile in the knowledge that I will still have all of that to come

Old 28th February 2010, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

have welded the roll bar backstays to the chassis. was a complete bitch to get in there with the welder without taking the top panel off. (to get my top panel off you have to remove the roll bar then the top panel) basically means that my top panel or roll bar can never be removed but im willing to trade it for an IVA pass.