Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th September 2013, 09:56 AM

Loving the build so far, so who is going to run a book on how long it will take for the arse end to be going around the corner before the front on completion.

Arfon
Old 11th September 2013, 11:49 AM

I wouldn't worry about the ride height too much at the moment, as soon as you get the engine, diff, gearbox, brakes & wiring e.t.c, it will lower the car anyway. I love the paint job on the chassis, you should be well chuffed !
Old 11th September 2013, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the kind words. The main reason im concerned about ride height is that i need to have the steering rack cut down. So i want to make sure that i am removing the correct amount based on ride height/steering rack position.

The chassis is painted with VHT satin black chassis and roll bar paint. Very nice stuff, very durable and the finish is beautiful. The floor and the entire undercarrage is painted with herculiner truck bed liner. Which give it a grippy ultra durable rubber finish.
Old 14th September 2013, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

hey dave, looking like a good build those mx5 engines are good fun with a supercharger on them. what ecu are you going to run it with? diy autotune are in suwannee and do full megasquirt kits, matt and the guys there are really helpful. I'm over in atlanta for work fairly often there are some good roads to have fun on when you get away from the city. Do you know what to do to get the car registered in GA? my roadster has been on the road for nearly 4 years in the uk i was considering moving to GA last year and was wondering if i would be able to import my car and get it registered.

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 14th September 2013, 12:58 PM

The supercharger kit came with a megasquirt, and yeah the diyautotune guys are walking distance from my home. So im hoping to get there assistance when time comes to tune this. As for registration, im honestly not completly sure yet. As it stands you'd have to get it inspected again to register it and depending on where you end up in georgia you may need emissions testing done. Upside is testing doesnt sound anywhere near as stringent as the uk. My problem now is that the laws can change between now and when i finish, im just hoping they change for the better. There has been some push to adopt SEMA's laws for registering custom car, which would simplify the process alot.

Here's the info i got from the guys that build the exocet kit car here.

Quote:
Georgia has a couple ways you can go about it. We issue a Certificate of Origin with each kit and that basically functions as a "pre-title" - similar to what you get if you bought a new trailer. This document can be submitted to the state along with all your receipts and a few other forms for registration. The SEMA Action Network has done a great job of getting all the pertinent laws and forms together in a single PDF document for each state and you can download Georgia's here: http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA

Georgia also has a Dune Buggy method, where you cut out the VIN plate from the donor Miata and submit it to the state along with all the other paperwork - that is actually how I registered the all black Exocet you saw at C&O since it was registered before we began issuing COOs.

Some are running their Exocets as the original Miata, but if you choose that route, make sure you are aware of all the laws/insurance. Some have their cars insured as "heavily modified Miatas" through companies like Classic Collectors by Infinity. The way I see it is that this may be skirting around the law a bit since you are technically replacing the frame of the vehicle. While some may argue that the Mazda PPF is part of the "frame" and since it is retained it is still a Miata, but I could see the authorities not liking that explanation.

Since you are titling it as a new vehicle, there are no emissions requirements for the first three years. After that, you can apply for an exemption through the Clean Air Force assuming you've retained all the emissions equipment on the Exocet. We are in the process of trying to push SEMA's custom vehicle legislation through - we've got about 23 states done so far and I hope to have GA on board soon. That would eliminate any emissions checks for custom vehicles/kits moving forward.
Old 16th September 2013, 05:21 PM

So I readjusted the ride height this past week and got the motor in place. This weeks goal is to get the motor mounts made and get the steering rack shortened. As you can see below, I'm going to more than likely have to make a custom hood to clear the supercharger.

Old 16th September 2013, 06:19 PM

You'll need booster seats (and brown trousers )
Old 17th September 2013, 09:33 AM

Incontinence pads more like

Arfon

p.s. is adrenaline brown and smelly
Old 28th September 2013, 01:50 AM

September 27 Update:

Fairly Productive 2 weeks:
•*Fabricated engine and transmission mounts
• Finished Painting Chassis - used truck bed liner that I used on the floors to coat the entire undercarriage in a nice thick rubberized coating. This should help with vibration noise, and give me a nice durable rust proof finish. I figure this is more or less what they use on regular cars, so it should work well here too.
• Reassembled chassis
• Received delivery from kitcardirect.co.uk Neil is a top notch guy, I originally contacted him wanting to order carbon fiber caterham csr fenders, CF naca ducts, and CF winglets. I mentioned that I was having trouble sourcing haynes body work from the UK fiberglass companies, and he was nice enough to order them from equinox for me and ship them my way. I ordered a nose to begin with to verify it wouldn't get destroyed in the process. And am now ordering the the scuttle and rear wings. Not the cheapest or easiest way of doing this, but really no more expensive than ordering from the only company here in the states. This way I get exactly what I want.
• Trimmed nose for openings and suspension bolts. Next will be trimming for duct work.
• Good News clearance of supercharger is better than expected and may only require minor hood modifications to fit.

Old 28th September 2013, 01:52 AM