Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th August 2010, 09:17 PM

Default 6' 4 " am i gonna fit

hello im new to the site and iv just finished welding my table to build my car on. this is my first ever build. i just wondered if you can help me with my fear that im not goona fit being 6' 4" tall. do i need to make it bigger and is there anyone else who suffers from lankyness?
Old 16th August 2010, 09:30 PM

Welcome to the forum, the only thing with making the chassis longer is the side panels will have to be custom made in ali. I have made a chassis for a member on here who wanted a chassis made 50mm longer,although you could make it even longer. It's easy enough to do just add 50mm+ to BR5+6? (the square where the seat goes?), TR 3+4 and adjust the length of D3+4 and the tranny tunnel to suit the numbers of which escape me at the moment.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 16th August 2010, 09:46 PM

I am 6'6" and i fit fine. Spud69 (has had his car on the road for a while now) is 6'7" and he fits perfectly fine. Neither of us have put mods on the car.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting

Last edited by Tatey : 17th August 2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 17th August 2010, 06:32 AM

It varies from one person to another. Some tall people have the extra height in their legs, some in their backs. Don't take anyone else's word for it.

I'm the person Talon made the long chassis for, and having tried it, I'm glad I ordered it that way, and I'm less that 6'5". It will give me more options concerning seats and pedals too.

Having said that, if it needs to be a standard chassis then the Haynes is a good bet, I've tried most if not all of the different makes (I work on kit cars for a living) and only the Viento has a longer cockpit, and that only by 15mm
Old 17th August 2010, 08:00 AM

All my height is in my legs im 6" 4, when sitting down im not much bigger than the average person

I drive a standard car no probs, but thats with a fibreglass seat that is very thin, if i had a padded seat it may be a touch tight
Old 17th August 2010, 08:50 AM

I'll agree with Mark there, the Haynes is ideal as it does accommodate the taller driver but a padded seat will reduce the cockpit area you've got left - saying that though the fibre glass seats are surprisingly comfy especially strapped in tight. I've driven 200 miles in mine and not had a problem, many production cars are more uncomfortable.

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 18th August 2010, 09:06 PM

thanks for the replys, i think im gonna just go for it and build it by the book, keep it simple. im sure this is gonna be the start of alot of questions coming your way.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:13 AM

Default Further responses on the same subject

slacktavist,

I asked a similar question prior to my build, have a look here:

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3745

for a few more takes on your question.

(Note: Contary to my last comment on the above thread, I have actually added some length)

I am building my chassis from scratch (i.e. not a pre-cut chassis pack) and had the opportunity to lengthen the chassis if need be. If you buy a pre-cut chassis pack you would need to speak to the supplier who may accommodated you needs for customisation. Remembering that any customisation you carry out may limit you in buying further parts, e.g. GRP side panels.

I bought my seats prior to cutting any material and when I laid out the lower rails put the seat in position and hence could gauge the position of my feet with respect to the pedal box. As a result I have added a few more inches to the cockpit length. It probably would have been OK, but better to ere on the safe side i.e. too long and move the seat forward on its runners rather than spend hundreds of hours on the build and probably still fit but not quite as comfortable as it could have been.

I did have a 'test fit' in Tilly's car at the Stoneleigh show. I did fit fine, but as a previous contributor has mentioned depending on your choice of seats several inches can be taken off the leg room.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your built.

eSteve

Last edited by eSteve : 19th August 2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Add note