Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th January 2011, 06:44 PM

Default Help needed with bonnet

Hi folks, hope you are all well. I have nearly finished my build now, the only job left is the bonnet. My build uses the Twinky engine so the standard bonnet does not fit. No problem, I thought I will make an alli bonnet with a big old bulge in it. Trouble is I have no idea how to do it I have made several attempts at modifying commercial units, all I succeeded in doing was depleting my bank balance. Next couple of attempts were to make something out of a wooden former and cover it in fibreglass. More time and money wasted, the results were not good
Has anybody got any ideas or pointers as top how I might go about this? I am just about at my wits end. I really ballsed up on this, I made the scuttle higher than standard but the fuel regulator and cam covers are still way higher than I intended. I can't lower the engine as then I will have no ground clearance.
Any ideas gratefully received.
Enoch
Old 20th January 2011, 07:08 PM

I'm using a 16v DOHC engine (so very similar) and a MK Indy bonnet bulge off a Kia Sedona MK1 works fine. As does the bonnet bulge destined for a DAX.
Old 20th January 2011, 08:28 PM

Enoch,

SNAP! I'm in a similar situation as yourself (tall I4 twink) although I'm a couple of months away from working on the bonnet scoop/bulge. I have already bought a scoop from SMK (on ebay) however it is not quite wide enough so I intend splitting it down the middle and widen it. I have attached a photo of the scoop (if it works!)
cheers
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !B6+YvZ!EGk~$(KGrHqEOKnQEyy7g0Y8sBMy8t(!kUg~~-1_12.jpg (6.3 KB, 92 views)
Old 20th January 2011, 09:34 PM

hmm i am going to have this issue too i looked at the nissan pulsar gtir scoops availiable in egay.

there must be a way and a simple one ? has anyone asked a body manufacturer ? ie saturn etc see if they would be able to adapt one to suit ?

Old 20th January 2011, 10:06 PM

Hi guys, some useful thoughts there. I will give Andy at Saturn a ring tomorrow. I know he was working on a bonnet with an extended bulge - it may be possible to just get the bulge part made. I had tried modding an existing scoop but it looked hopeless. I will have a look at a kia Sedona and see what that looks like.
Enoch
Old 21st January 2011, 11:03 AM
fabbyglass

Andy had the plug for a bonnet with an almost full width full length bonnet bulge when he took on my Roadster moulds, if memory serves me right it's about 3" high....google Westfield V8 and you will get some idea of what I mean as I can't find the pictures I had of the plug sorry.

I'm sure he said he had made a start on it but I know he was busy with the single seater so best ask him
Old 21st January 2011, 11:12 AM

If Saturn could make a bonnet like this one, I'd buy one. Look a lot prettier than the monstrosity I made!

Old 21st January 2011, 11:37 AM
fabbyglass

Thats the one I meant yeah.....they are a staggering £300 a pop

Last edited by fabbyglass : 21st January 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 21st January 2011, 08:44 PM

Well that would look lovely but at 300 knicker (just over 100 pints) I don't think I will be buying one any time soon. I will have to go with an add on bulge as my scuttle is a non standard size so a standard bonnet with bulge won't work for me. I had made it 40mm higher than standard as I thought at the the time that my bonnet would then clear ok. Guess I got that one wrong
I will sepake to Andy on Monday unless I have any whizz bang ideas before then.
Enoch
Old 21st January 2011, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Well that would look lovely but at 300 knicker (just over 100 pints) I don't think I will be buying one any time soon. I will have to go with an add on bulge as my scuttle is a non standard size so a standard bonnet with bulge won't work for me. I had made it 40mm higher than standard as I thought at the the time that my bonnet would then clear ok. Guess I got that one wrong
I will sepake to Andy on Monday unless I have any whizz bang ideas before then.
Enoch

bloomin eck, i buy £1.50 pints.... you must drink expensive beer.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders