Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th February 2011, 08:03 PM

Default Going to have a bash at this..!!

Just aquired a 3ft sheet of 5mm top quality steel plate for nowt...so i am going to have a go at hacking out the diff plates...thinking a box of slitting discs some grinding discs ...oh eye and face mask !! anybody attempted this ?
Old 16th February 2011, 08:10 PM

Smile yeah go for it

just how i did mine but also used a jigsaw and 10 blades to cut out the holes.
Old 16th February 2011, 08:21 PM

Very doable if you don't mind spending the time on them & as the material came free it would be rude not too

I used a gas axe on mine, not as crue as it sounds when you know how to use one

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 16th February 2011, 08:24 PM

Got gas axe at work but i struggle to get a clean cut with it ...seem to always end up with it looking fine from the top but the bottom side is all snotters hanging down....we do have a plasma but some a/hole buggered it up and its an un economical repair...
Old 16th February 2011, 08:31 PM
fabbyglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_B View Post
Got gas axe at work but i struggle to get a clean cut with it ...seem to always end up with it looking fine from the top but the bottom side is all snotters hanging down....we do have a plasma but some a/hole buggered it up and its an un economical repair...
What type of nozzle are you using? as there are specific nozzles for thinner sheet that make life a lot easier.
Old 16th February 2011, 08:42 PM

Whatever is on it when i pick it up !! my trade is instumentation and electrical ...so the mechanical guys kinda hide all the stuff i need and the know how too !! but i do callouts and nightshifts so can rake around and teach myself when they are not about ....seem to remember seeing different number nozzles in the store...is there a specific for 5mm ?
Old 16th February 2011, 08:46 PM
fabbyglass

its a funny shaped thing kinda stepped if that makes sense, can't remember the name or part but what you do is let the nozzle sit on the steel and just follow your line or straight edge etc.

The other type called a pepper pot for obvious reasons is a tad more awkward and needs a steady hand and ideally a straight edge so you can guide it along. I made one so the nut rested on it allowing me to keep a constant height and of course a straight line.
Old 16th February 2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
its a funny shaped thing kinda stepped if that makes sense, can't remember the name or part but what you do is let the nozzle sit on the steel and just follow your line or straight edge etc.

The other type called a pepper pot for obvious reasons is a tad more awkward and needs a steady hand and ideally a straight edge so you can guide it along. I made one so the nut rested on it allowing me to keep a constant height and of course a straight line.
Cheers will have a google search and a rake about after they go home tomorrow
Old 16th February 2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_B View Post
If it's Oxy/Accet

1/16" cutting nozel
10 Psi Accet / 28 Psi Oxy ( Approx )

On 5mm plate you'll need quite a fast speed of travel when you are cutting .... Too slow & you'll get a build up of dross just as you describe

It is very important that the cutting nozel is clean, especialy the centre Oxy hole.

When you have marked the part to be cut out, it will help if you use a centre punch to mark the lines ( Every 10mm or so & closer on the curved parts )

Once you get the knack of cutting a reasonable line, it does not take long to fettle the part with a flap disc

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 16th February 2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
If it's Oxy/Accet

1/16" cutting nozel
10 Psi Accet / 28 Psi Oxy ( Approx )

On 5mm plate you'll need quite a fast speed of travel when you are cutting .... Too slow & you'll get a build up of dross just as you describe

It is very important that the cutting nozel is clean, especialy the centre Oxy hole.

When you have marked the part to be cut out, it will help if you use a centre punch to mark the lines ( Every 10mm or so & closer on the curved parts )

Once you get the knack of cutting a reasonable line, it does not take long to fettle the part with a flap disc
Cheers Bonzo...(thats what i call my wee lad !!) will post some pics if i get it done over the next few days..