Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th April 2012, 05:33 PM

Default hello all

hi everyone... not sure if this is where to say hi but its going here till someone moves it.. lol.. ive been thinking of building a kit car for several years now, as well as a landy, but redundancies, moving countries and back etc have all taken its toll, ..... now im back in my house and am gathering information before deciding 100% on a build..... all subject to getting a job after another redundancy... ive spoken via emither to handy andy, a very helpful guy, very knowledgable too, and have sort of decided on an mx5 build... as everything else is expensive/rare nowadays .... also possibly going for a saturn frame, as ive never welded before, although my neighbour has a welder and will teach me what he can, so it may be a handy andy frame.... ( he and nts/saturn are local to me)

couple of questions, i see people use ford zetec engines, i thought these were f/w drive cars , if so, what is needed to use these in a r/w car?

also as a biker, i have also thought about using a bike engine, though this is moving further away from my thoughts, (i have a mate with a bike shop who should be able to supply me with an engine, ) i was wondering is this a more expensive/ difficult route to go...

and finally ( for now) if i was to purchase parts from ebay, from all different places, would it be easy to get an age related plate, or is it best to get a complete donor vehicle

thanks for reading my nonsense.. mm

sorry, just a thought, are there any shows or anything in the north east where i could get a look at a few different cars???
Old 29th April 2012, 05:49 PM

hey and welcome !

i belive people couple their zetec's up with type 9's or mt75 gearbox's. as for bikes i havent a clue!

But to be hohnest, if your planning on getting a mazda based chassis and buying a donor car use the mazda engine , unless you want to get something even bigger .

If your doing what im doing, and thats buying lots of bits seperate then you have to have a Q plate i belive, but if you use a donor you will be able to take the plate of that one.

kind regards

Michael
Old 29th April 2012, 06:36 PM

Hi welcome to the forum

Where in the area do you live

I am building the saturn based mx5 donor feel free to pop in anytime to have a look kettle is always on
Old 29th April 2012, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Go single donor and a prebuilt chassis. You stand a much better chance of getting it finished if you go that way.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 29th April 2012, 06:48 PM

cheers vmax... i live just outside Durham, and my cars just spat its dummy out , so no transport at the moment... ( need to get one of my motorbikes back on the road)... but if/ when i get it sorted ill take you up on the offer... where abouts you based?? my mam lives in marske, so i go ( did go ) through regularly....

michael, thats my thoughts really, for ease, use all the mx5 stuff....
Old 29th April 2012, 07:40 PM

ah Ah....another NERD welcome and alright bud...would defo go single donor route sierra or mazda as for chassis thats up to you....I enjoyed the task of making something out of several lumps of steel but it is not for everyone ....I'm over in Wingate which still in Co Durham (just) there is quite a gaggle of us NERD's around all building fairly standard roadsters
North...East....Roadster...Dude.......NERD..I coined this one a couple of years ago when I started my build.
l8ers
K4
Old 29th April 2012, 07:53 PM

Default welcome

Nice to see another NERD, I'm building the sierra engine of the roadster and although not.for everybody I thouroughly enjoyed welding up handy andys kit, which ever route u go though sure u will enjoy the build process.

Regards

Just keep going we will get there in the end.
Old 30th April 2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaniac View Post
cheers vmax... i live just outside Durham, and my cars just spat its dummy out , so no transport at the moment... ( need to get one of my motorbikes back on the road)... but if/ when i get it sorted ill take you up on the offer... where abouts you based?? my mam lives in marske, so i go ( did go ) through regularly....

michael, thats my thoughts really, for ease, use all the mx5 stuff....
I am over in hartburn in stockton and still in the early stages of my build although I am doing all the cutting of my chassis myself i do believe the flatpack kits and the fully built chassis of nts offer great value for money and if I had it to do again this is the route I would use

I am also using a single mx5 donor so should end up on a k plate

Good luck with your build whatever way you decide to go
Old 30th April 2012, 11:25 AM

Welcome M8
Old 30th April 2012, 03:02 PM

This north/south divide is getting bigger Welcome from a southerner

bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669