Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th August 2016, 12:11 AM

Default just starting

hi to all,a short intoduction I am 70 year old semi retired and just started to build a haynes roadster based on the chris gibbs book, in this project i am being assisted by my older brother! Progress so far, we have bought a mx5 and stripped it down,bought the book and downloaded the saturn plans.
The next step is to construct the chassis. This is where the questions start, I would like to use as many of the mx5 components has possible but after reading various comments on the forum it appears the is a problem with the mx5 diff in a chassis built to the saturn plans,would it be possible to strengthen the chassis in the area of the diff wings. Another possible solution I have considerd would be to use the mx5 rear subframe and modify the chassis to suit as anyone done ever done this if not why not. Any comments or advise on the above would be very welcome
Old 28th August 2016, 12:18 AM

Welcome to the mad house
Old 28th August 2016, 12:46 AM

Phil aka TalonMotorsport is the guy who can point you in the right direction. Not sure if he is still as active as he used to be but he designed a tmxr chassis (mx5 based). Try a search in the forum for previous mx5 builds there will be anything and everything for you to digest.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with the build. Look forward to your progress
Old 28th August 2016, 07:21 AM

Hi and welcome

The problem people had with the diff was that they didn't mount the diff to compensate for the ppf on the mx5 this was solved on a few builds by changing the bushes for harder ones and almost hard mounting the diff nose

Phils solution is ok but if you are wanting to keep the components as standard as possible then maybe not for you
Old 28th August 2016, 05:43 PM

On mine I put a sierra diff and book rear end in but used mostly MX5 for the rest of the build ie engine gearbox wiring and ecu steering column. I used engine mounts supplied by Phil at Talon and very good they seem. I have seen several solutions to use the diff from the MX5 and would probably use one of them if I built another.
Good luck with your build and welcome to the group!
Old 28th August 2016, 08:02 PM

Hi and welcome. Life will never be the same for you both from now on
I used the mx5 diff et al and as said above mine is hard mounted nose and arms on the basis the Sierra diff was and is ok so mine is.
Good luck with the build and don't be afraid to ask questions the only daft one is the one you didn't ask
All the best Gary