Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th August 2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
Bike motor time then Andy....not mega fast but it's how they get there that will have you giggling yer head off.
that,ll be for the single seater
as you know my biking background, i,m sure i,ll want that "rush" of instant power

andy
Old 7th August 2009, 06:31 AM

Default Limits of the chassis

No deezee I love the car,over 40 years ago I wanted one,could not afford one,they were expensive in those days,so bought a TR3A instead,25 years later I bought a Chevron 7(NZ 7,)wonderful car but it had some faults that needed correcting,the same faults as the original clubman 7 cars and the same faults as today's ones,I feel that too much attention is spent on how many HP and not enough on improving the comfort a bit,eg "the board like ride",I intend to build myself another in due course and improve a few points,eg I feel that power steering from the donor is worth putting in.The Chapman strut idea of Mr Henderson's is a good one,but I dont know where one would be able to buy them.The coil overs are a horrendous price also.Now back to the chassis,over 40 years as a fitter/welder gives me a "gut feeling" that the chassis is not strong enough for over 150 hp,the Brunton Stalker (USA)uses 40x40x1.6 I think with 200/300 hp of 3.8L V6 Chevrolet.32 mm or more will not weigh much extra.I have repaired enough fatigue cracks etc to trust my instincts on this in spite of whatever Caterham etc do.Also sorry guys but this will get you going!too many of the welds and fitting are not up to standard ( Caterhams would be) and the riveting of panels ad lib means in many cases these vehicles will rust from the inside out.Think about it.Its also good on these forums to get some different views and "lateral thinking" David