Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th June 2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
Sylvain, what is the fit like on the underside of the rails? Could it be possible (I've just come in from work, so this might sound daft) that your issue lies with U4/5, or is it a tight fit to both the top and bottom rail?
Thanks for the input Snapper. Yes, it is a tight fit to both the top and bottom rail at U4/U5 level. It is this point which defines the vertical position of the GRP panel. Out of this point, the lower edge of the panel touches the bottom side of the chassis.
I made a sketch that illustrates my problem. Chassis is in black, GRP panel outline in red.

SidePanelGaps par Voucht71, sur Flickr

The only wrong thing on the sketch is the lower front part. On the sketch, it looks like the GRP lower edge does not touch the bottom rail after the floor stops. In reality, it does. It is quite loose, but it touches the bottom rail, certainly due to the "flexibility" of the GRP on such a length. I will try to slide a 3mm aluminium strip between BR1/BR2 and the lower edge of the GRP panel to see if it can pulls down the panel.

Again, identifying where my problem lies is not my first concern, because where ever it does, I'm not going to change the chassis, and I really want to use these GRP panels as I had them done with a personalized colour, I don't have the budget, material and facility to make aluminium panels and paint them. So I need to find a way to attach them to the chassis.

Thank you very much.