Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th May 2010, 11:00 PM

Default I'm new, so be nice.

Hi everyone.

I've just joined up to gain some knowledge, before starting my build.

I've got the book, i've got the enthusiasm, my problem is workspace. I only have access to a single garage, so having a donor isn't really an option for me.

I plan on using a zetec engine, so won't be needing the engine from the sierra anyway. Anyone have an idea of how much the sierra parts i need would cost roughly, if buying seperatley? Eg. uprights, gearbox etc.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

*EDIT* thinking about it, what else would i need off the sierra, besides brakes, uprights, gearbox (+ diff) and steering column?

Last edited by David_17 : 8th May 2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 8th May 2010, 11:15 PM

welcome to the forum David,

you can get most parts needed from ebay but takes time to source them all,
gearboxes are approx £50 to £70, uprights / brakes etc tend to sell as a job lot, you can of course buy brand new front uprights from Rally Design, i think they are £99 a pair.

good luck with your build, any questions then have a search on here or ask away, its a very friendly forum & everyone is willing to help .

cheers
andy
Old 8th May 2010, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply

I think that's how i'll go about it then, instead of buying a donor car. Saves the hassle of getting rid of the scrap left over too
Old 8th May 2010, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

A not fully comprehensive list of sierra parts is...

Front Hubs
Steerign Column + UJ Shaft
Front Calipers
Rear Shafts
Rear Drums or calipers
Handbrake
Diff
Stalks
Dash
Gearbox
Engine
Engine Loom
Steering wheel
Handbrake cable

You will find some bits cost a fair bit unless your luck ( steering column for example )

Good luck on the build

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 9th May 2010, 12:21 AM

David, where in the north east are you located?

I am building my car in a single garage at the moment and decided to go down the buy parts separately route. I managed to pick up the following in one go for £125:

Engine
Gearbox
Driveshafts
Diff
Front hubs
Front callipers
Rear hubs
Rear drums

I then managed to pick up a complete sierra column the other week for £12.07. So the bargains are out there.

I was going to be going down the CVH engine route as I got it chucked in with my donor parts, but it was going to prove too costly to get running again as it required a lot of work. I managed to pick up a 94 1.8 zetec engine with 70,000 miles for £40 from someone local to me. It is a known runner as he was going to be putting it into his car.

So if you are local to me then feel free to come round and have a look at my build as it sounds as if you will be going down a similar route to me.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 9th May 2010, 12:24 AM

Hiya.

I'm in Redcar (cleveland).

That sounds like an amazing bargin all that lot! Where did you manage to find that?
Old 9th May 2010, 12:29 AM

What is it with Roadster builders being located in Cleveland? .

There are a few other builders near by you, including Spud69 of Saturn Sports Cars, so you're sorted for a local supplier of Roadster parts and no doubt inspiration if Spud takes you out in his car, as I can tell you, once you've been out in the real thing, you really want to get yours on the road.

It was a tip off from a fellow builder on here, the guy was going to be building his own kit car but then never got round to it, so decided to sell it all. I was initially struggling to find donor parts, and I was going to be going down the donor car route until that deal popped up.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 9th May 2010, 12:36 AM

You don't really need a garage for the donor, if you have a drive or even a front lawn you can park it on you can have it stripped over a weekend.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_17 View Post
Hi everyone.

I've just joined up to gain some knowledge, before starting my build.

I've got the book, i've got the enthusiasm, my problem is workspace. I only have access to a single garage, so having a donor isn't really an option for me.

I plan on using a zetec engine, so won't be needing the engine from the sierra anyway. Anyone have an idea of how much the sierra parts i need would cost roughly, if buying seperatley? Eg. uprights, gearbox etc.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

*EDIT* thinking about it, what else would i need off the sierra, besides brakes, uprights, gearbox (+ diff) and steering column?
Just noticed this one David, we're all nice on here...

Another local North East builder plus a first time pass (see we're not all thick)

If you need to see anything close up you know where we are, more than welcome just for a chat and coffee if passing - can even have a ride out (any excuse to get out)

Regards.....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 11th May 2010, 11:13 PM

That'd be great. i'm sure i'll pop over some time in the near future.

Just had a browse of your site, and noticed you sell a complete car with 2.0 zetec on carbs and megajolt (which is exactly what i plan for mine).

Just wondering - how do you pass the iva emissions test with this? I've made a thread here... http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4263 if you'd prefer to reply to that one.

Thanks