Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th December 2012, 10:43 PM

Default cvh, zetec or zvh?

Just a quick one as brainstorming at the moment. Currently have fitted a sierra 1.8 cvh and type 9 gearbox. Possibility of a 2.0 zetec for not much cash. I am toying with the idea of whether I would be an idea to do an 'engine swap' on my donor sierra (as far as dvla know its just sorn) or whether going down the zvh route would be better or worse? Zetec currently has mt75 box but box is shot so would be keeping type 9 fitted

Anyone have any experience in this sort of thing? Also how easy would a straight engine swap be with regards wiring etc and are there any benifits for going down the zvh route?

Cvh was from 92 sierra and zetec is from 99 focus

Cheers in advance......

Russ

Last edited by rpjg1975 : 17th December 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 17th December 2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjg1975 View Post
Just a quick one as brainstorming at the moment. Currently have fitted a sierra 1.8 cvh and type 9 gearbox. Possibility of a 2.0 zetec for not much cash. I am toying with the idea of whether I would be an idea to do an 'engine swap' on my donor sierra (as far as dvla know its just sorn) or whether going down the zvh route would be better or worse? Zetec currently has mt75 box but box is shot so would be keeping type 9 fitted

Anyone have any experience in this sort of thing? Also how easy would a straight engine swap be with regards wiring etc and are there any benifits for going down the zvh route?

Cvh was from 92 sierra and zetec is from 99 focus

Cheers in advance......

Russ
Don't bother with the zvh as its a lot of money and the zetec is a better engine.
Go with the 92 sierra cvh to get the car iva'd as with the 99 Zetec you'll need a cat for the exhaust emissions
You could always fit the zetec after you've got the car on the road.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:05 PM

The zetec is a better engine erm that depends on your point of view regarding making it run,tuning it and the cost of doing this. If your not very savy with elastictrickery like me then a zetec engine is a bugger to make run.
Lets start with the Ford ignition and fuel system that comes with a standard engine you have to trace the wires and the 'pin outs' on the ECU this includes by passing the imobiliser. You could use the standard injection system, but the plastic inlet manifold does'nt fit under a roadster bonnet,so you will need a fabricated manifold.
An option is megajolt and carb(s) but that still requires an ECU and a fabricated inlet manifold or machining to make a CVH one fit.
Then there's the cost of an ECU if you are clever then get in to the DIY mega jolt/squirt option "100-200 or spend £300-600 on an after market stand alone ECU such as Omex.
Suddenly a ZVH with a 1600 CVH head with a 285 cam and carb(s) matted to a 2000cc Zetec short block using 4 wires to make it run making 160hp does'nt look so bad does it?

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 18th December 2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
The zetec is a better engine erm that depends on your point of view regarding making it run,tuning it and the cost of doing this. If your not very savy with elastictrickery like me then a zetec engine is a bugger to make run.
Lets start with the Ford ignition and fuel system that comes with a standard engine you have to trace the wires and the 'pin outs' on the ECU this includes by passing the imobiliser. You could use the standard injection system, but the plastic inlet manifold does'nt fit under a roadster bonnet,so you will need a fabricated manifold.
An option is megajolt and carb(s) but that still requires an ECU and a fabricated inlet manifold or machining to make a CVH one fit.
Then there's the cost of an ECU if you are clever then get in to the DIY mega jolt/squirt option "100-200 or spend £300-600 on an after market stand alone ECU such as Omex.
Suddenly a ZVH with a 1600 CVH head with a 285 cam and carb(s) matted to a 2000cc Zetec short block using 4 wires to make it run making 160hp does'nt look so bad does it?
If you're not able or willing to use the zetec with the bike carbs/megajolt option which in my experience is no more complicated than points and condensor then you would use the sierra cvh as it comes since you cant get much simpler than that!
In terms of performance the zetec, for an equal level of tuning, will out perform the cvh/zvh. Simply if for no other reason than the two valve hemispherical combustion chamber will always produce less bmep than four valve pent roof chamber of the zetec.
There are plenty of 180+ hp zetecs around but few non-turbo'd cvh's around at that power.
Old 18th December 2012, 05:37 PM

What extra would I actually need for the zvh route? I was kind of presuming that it would be easier than the full zetec install?
Old 18th December 2012, 06:40 PM

1600 CVH head + dizzy + coil
1.3 CVH cam belt tensioner (ebay)
40 DCOE webbers, 600cc+ bike carbs (rejetted), landrover 2.5 twin webber (rejetted), xr2i injector system with ECU (bigger injectors needed)
water pump modding plate (ebay)
1.8-2ltr Zetec bottom end
Zetec head gasket
brass plugs for oil galleries
correct head bolts (ebay)
fuel pump

There are guides out there on how do it google is your friend.

The whole point of this is a full Zetec is easy to fit what may not be easy to every body is making it run as it should and tuning it,not every body understands ECU's. A 2ltr ZVH with a CVH dizzy,coil and carbs needs 4 live wires to make it work which is a simple way to extra CC cheaply and more power with out an ECU wiring head ache.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 18th December 2012, 07:09 PM

Cheers phil. Can it not be done with the 1.8 cvh head etc then?
Old 18th December 2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
1600 CVH head + dizzy + coil
1.3 CVH cam belt tensioner (ebay)
40 DCOE webbers, 600cc+ bike carbs (rejetted), landrover 2.5 twin webber (rejetted), xr2i injector system with ECU (bigger injectors needed)
water pump modding plate (ebay)
1.8-2ltr Zetec bottom end
Zetec head gasket
brass plugs for oil galleries
correct head bolts (ebay)
fuel pump

There are guides out there on how do it google is your friend.

The whole point of this is a full Zetec is easy to fit what may not be easy to every body is making it run as it should and tuning it,not every body understands ECU's. A 2ltr ZVH with a CVH dizzy,coil and carbs needs 4 live wires to make it work which is a simple way to extra CC cheaply and more power with out an ECU wiring head ache.
If the banger boys can make it work for banger racing then it cant be hard and it isn't, nor is it expensive.
Its a lot easier than building a ZVH and £ for £ more power.
As the OP's zetec is a '99 engine then a zvh based on this block would still require a catalyst to pass the IVA and that would need complicated engine management!

Last edited by Big Vern : 18th December 2012 at 08:49 PM.