Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th December 2012, 07:36 PM

Default My engine dilemma

Hello everybody,
First I hope every one of you had a very good Christmas with a lot of presents, good food and drinks
Sorry, this post is a bit long, but please, stay with me till the end, I just need to be very specific about my problem.
I haven't been active for a while, because I put my build on hold for the winter, as I did last year, temperatures in the workshop being now just inhuman up here. However, I will soon make my first engine fitting trials in the chassis, but I have different options when it comes to the engine/gearbox set-up:

- I have a 2,0i DOHC + MT75 from my donor. I can't fit a MT75 gearbox in my chassis, so I can not use this engine with its gearbox. I'm not particularly excited in using this big and heavy engine in the Roadster... but: this engine looks in a much better shape than the SOHC I've got on the side (see below). It will be “plug and play” if I use it in the Roadster, as I removed the electric loom, ECU and ancillaries from the donor that I plan to reuse, and to me it looks like much less trouble to make it work in the roadster than the other engine I have.
- I have a 2,0i SOHC (Pinto EFI) + Type 9 gearbox. If I use this engine, I will need to buy or make an engine loom and buy ECU, as well as some ancillaries. This engine has been bought for a very cheap price, and has been sleeping outside on a pallet covered by a plywood board for the last 2 years. I don't know how much work it will need before I can make it run. I don't have any invoice/sales certificate for it, and SFRO (Swedish IVA) will ask for one as it is not the engine from the donor, and it will not be easy to get in touch with the guy who sold it to me... but: this will fit straightly in my chassis which has been built for Pinto + Type 9 gear box.

So my two options are:
- Getting all the needed papers for the SOHC, make it work, get the correct engine loom, ECU, ancillaries.
- As I can not use the MT75 in my chassis, I could use the DOHC with the Type 9 Gear box from the SOHC. But I know they don't match together: I've read that the DOHC flywheel is too thick (8-10mm) to fit directly on the type 9, and needs to be machined, ans spigot ring needs to be changed. As I don't mind scarifying the SOHC, do you think I can simply remove the flywheel, spigot ring, starter motor, etc. from the SOHC and fit them on the DOHC? Will they fit ? Then I will not need to machine the flywheel of the DOHC, and would be able to fit my Type 9 on it, as I've read the bolt patterns of the back flange are the same on both blocks.
What do you guys think is my best option, considering my priorities:
1 - as less work as possible
2 - as cheap as possible
3 - Roadster performances (weight, hp,...)

Thank you in advance for all your answers and comments.
Old 28th December 2012, 09:06 AM

This might be stating the obvious but can you not modify the chassis to take the mt75 using the dimensions available on here in the announcements section under book amendments

Arfon
Old 28th December 2012, 09:45 AM

Chew that bit off the flywheel, its got to be the quickest and easiest option. There is nothing wrong with a type 9 and its not too involved to mate that to the dohc. Just my humble worthless opinion.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 28th December 2012, 06:25 PM

Hi,
Thank you for the replies,
Arf, yes, I thought about that in the first place, but my chassis if finished now, and I don't feel like taking the grinder and cutting the trans tunnel to install a new one (and I would need 5m of 20x20 tube that I don't have). Also, as I'm building a LH driver car, I'm not even sure I can reverse the dimensions of the passager/driver foot wells given in the MT75 amendment document, and still being able to fir the gearbox. If this is possible, it would also mean modifying if not rebuilding completely another pedal box. My big mistake has been to build the chassis without being sure of which engine/gearbox I will use, and now it's payback time. My old man used to say "everything is about planing", and I have to confess he was bloody right.
So, today I wanted to check if I can fit the flywheel of the SOHC on the DOHC. I removed the gearboxes and clutches from both engines. But when I looked at the flywheels, it appears that the 6 bolt PDC is not the same on the SOHC (about 65mm) and the DOHC (about 70mm). Not only that removing the flywheels look to be a big pain because of the tightening torque of these 6 bolts, but obviously, I will not be able to fit the flywheel of the SOHC on the DOHC.
The good news is that both clutches are the same, and as I bought a brand new one for the SOHC+type9, I know it will fit the DOHC's flywheel too.
My options now are as Bob said:
- having the DOHC's flywheel machined and balance by a local machine shop,
- use a longer clutch bell housing (from 1,8D which (I've read that too Bob) can fit the thick flywheel of the DOHC).
I'll have a look for this longer bell housing, and if I can get one for a good price, I'll go on this route, as this way, I will not need to remove the flywheel from the DOHC.
Keep you posted.
Thanks again for the help.