Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th January 2013, 01:23 PM

Think I set mine up so the bottom of the sump was 30mm below the bottom of the lower rail? I was a while ago now.
I have modified the inlet plenum to take about 40mm out of the height so it doesn't stick out too much.

I have a couple of pictures, they are not great but you can kind of guage how the engine is sat from the position of the pulley when viewed front on, that should be able to give you a datum for how high it is sat?

I Guess if I got it wrong when the nose cone arrives then I'm screwed

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_4145.jpg
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_4152.jpg
Old 7th January 2013, 08:20 PM

Hi

Looking at the pics and the position of the water pump pulley I think you have your engine quite a lot higher than I do

I checked the clearance by propping a piece of wood on the scuttle and I'm going to need a bonnet with a scoop to get it to clear the front of the engine as the wood sits 20-40mm above the top of the nosecone.

Matt
Old 7th January 2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
I've not had any problem with oil surge since cutting the sump down. I can only say what my experience has been, which has been spirited road driving (that is to say quick enough to squeal the tyres as the car tends to lift a wheel on cornering)

I fitted an Accusump to the car to control oil surge, but its not actually kicked in as the pressure has never dropped that low So a rather expensive and heavy backup system. Whether it would drop low on a trackday, I couldn't say.
Yes, Accusump are very good devices, sorry for you it never had to work, but it was wise to put this security in the first place
It is rather a good news for me that you say you engine never suffered any oil surge, and as I don't plan to go on tracks with my roadster, I will certainly shorten my sump in the same way as you did. Very useful info for me.
Thank you very much for the reply
Old 12th January 2013, 09:03 AM

Mine is a zetec to mt75 but that also leaves the sump an inch lower than the sump so good or bad I cleaned the gearbox up to match.