Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd August 2012, 09:38 PM

Cheers everyone. Another thing that's stressing me out is I had a nose and scuttle from Satur, when I ordered my other parts ( the ones I haven't got) I started making and fitting my scuttle, firewall, battery, header tank etc now if I don't get my bonnet I fear the nose, scuttle and firewall will be scrap as I doubt it will fit another bodywork suppliers scuttle panel it is such a mess and the whole thing is really getting to me and my family
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97412063@N08/
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alga View Post
It's a long story.

The price quoted by spud69 was in the range of £230-250 for shipping a 6-piece set of bodywork to Lithuania. I toyed with the idea of making my own bodywork, but in January finally pooled up on shipping with another dude making a roadster in Lithiuania. Then we arranged transport by someone who could pick up both sets and bring them down to Lithuania for 100 quid. We paid for the 2 sets from Saturn on 11 January. Then 5 days later Andy announced he'll be transfering the business to Nathan/NTS.

In mid-February Nathan sent a note that the bodywork is ready. We started arranging to get it picked up, and eventually in early March or so it finally brought to Lithuania. But at the moment I was on holiday in Tenerife. In the end of March I returned and finally got my bodywork. The other guy we ordered together with got his set from the guy who arranged us the transport, so we have never met.

The quality was disappointing, especially given the high expectations set by all the praise Andy and SSC got on this forum. I was not sure whether I'm being too picky, so I made some photos and sent them to Nathan and an impartial expert in GRP, MarkB. Nathan admitted that the panels "do look like crap", and MarkB replied that I it's totally appaling, he had binned panels that looked better than this, and I should get my money back and think about buying from Voudou. MarkB wrote that the moulds are obviously in a very bad state and he's sad to see that. Apparently, also MarkB sent some abuse Nathan's way privately.

Nathan expressed his intention to put it right numerous times, initially he offered a refund or a replacement set, but later wrote that he didn't see any of my money (I paid to Saturn), and he's started making a replacement set anyway. This was late March/early April. Nathan didn't want me to publicize the photos of my bodywork, but asked for evidence of defects on the second set. I made the Picasa album with my photos private.

As shipping the bad sets just does not make sense, I offered to buy at least my set for a fair price for what it is, and pass them on to other builders (there are a couple of people who could be interested). Nathan suggested that I use the bad set to progress with my build, practice drilling it, and then just replace the bodywork once it's done.

Several months passed, Nathan decided to close down the operation. He acknowledged several times both privately and on the forum that he intends to make good on his promises, in fact one of the sets is done and just needs some elbow grease to ensure that it's top notch this time.

The last time I've heard from Nathan was 6 June. He promissed to have the two sets ready for the first week in August (this week), but, apparently, it did not pan out. I still believe he's intends to fulfill his promise, but I feel the urge to share on the forum, too... It's been almost 7 months since I paid...

Anyway, here are the photos of the disappintment that came after the initial euphoria of offering the bodywork to the chassis:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1008810...eat=directlink

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7722909...7629458919298/

Now I'm really blocked on bodywork. I want to mount the front indicators and rear lights, but if I intend to recoup my costs for the seconds set, I want the visible surfaces to unspoiled if possible.
I've just looked at the pics and I agree that the quality is not up to scratch. I'm very disappointed for you. I have CF panels that I know Nathan has made and they are much higher quality than the GRP products posted here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgglep View Post
Trust me he is 100% aware of the situation
If he is, then Nathan should sort it out as soon as he possibly can. As I've said before, I've dealt with Nathan and it's been very pleasant and straightforward. I'm disappointed that not everyone can share my experience
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgglep View Post
Cheers everyone. Another thing that's stressing me out is I had a nose and scuttle from Satur, when I ordered my other parts ( the ones I haven't got) I started making and fitting my scuttle, firewall, battery, header tank etc now if I don't get my bonnet I fear the nose, scuttle and firewall will be scrap as I doubt it will fit another bodywork suppliers scuttle panel it is such a mess and the whole thing is really getting to me and my family
I know what you mean, but try to not let it get to you. On the upside, a bonnet could be made from ali sheet, so it's not a lost cause I'll gladly supply measurements of my SSC bonnet which should be a good starting point if you don't suceed in getting a GRP bonnet. You could then add whatever size bonnet scoop you require

Do you still need rear wings?
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:18 PM

Hi I am trying to contact Nathan for the last few months with no joy.He promised me a replacment bonnet as the one Saturn supplied was very badly finished with big gaps between scuttle and nose cone.This has been going on since the end of january he has told me he lost my details,then was waiting for a couriur then he was having trouble at home.I then told him i would collect it at Stoneleigh to save him courier charges to be phoned at the show that he was sending it by courier as it was cheaper than driving down with it.So as it is I totally pi**ed off as I cant line up the body work
Old 2nd April 2013, 06:56 PM

FWIW, I haven't heard from Nathan since September and this situation has not been resolved in any way.
Old 24th July 2013, 03:20 PM

I bought a Gulf Blue nose cone from CTWV50. Received it today and got depressed how much worse the yellow NTS nose cone was than the one that was sold on the SSC seconds sale.

Does anyone have Nathan Smith's email or phone? Looks like he's forgotten me.
Old 24th July 2013, 04:26 PM

Alga, I have just looked at the photos and I am appalled at what has been sent to you.
I personally would not be able to live with my-self if I had sold something of that poor a quality to someone.
I bought some grp items from a member on here who was selling up but he told me before I left home to go and see them that he had bought them as seconds from Saturn, and I kid you not, my second look like firsts compared to what you have received.
I do hope you are able to sort this out soon, and I sympathize with you being in a different country you cant just jump into your car and go and thump the Cr*p out of him, which I would have by now.
Nathan if you are reading this do the right thing and give the guy his money back

Arfon
Old 24th July 2013, 06:36 PM

Dan at Gillham online now has the Saturn moulds, if you give him a chance to set him self up at his new workshop I'm sure he'll be able to sort you out.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 24th July 2013, 07:24 PM

never mentioned this before and frankly i still dont want to kick the guy whilst he down and not here to defend himself however i helped him do a few sets of bodywork as its all stuff i used to do back in the day

my observation was this

gelcoat was applied too thick in places and was uneven hence corners pulling off on release he applied the gel by pouring a load into the bottom of the mould and spreading it about ( i was always taught to do corners first then apply evenly to rest of mould) he nearly always had air bubbles to deal with

my next observation was that he never radius rolled the edges and corners mainly cause they were thick with gel so a simple paddle roller would do the job

but the biggest problem he had to deal with was the stress when things went wrong putting pressure on himself to get orders out on time lead to him almost saying that wll do they can have it like that
Old 24th July 2013, 07:38 PM

I ordered frontwings in carbonfibre from Nathan in May 2012 and payed £200 but never got anything but lies from him
He is not answer in phone or by e-mail

Janne