Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st December 2009, 10:38 PM

It may have a warm up regulator as fitted to Bosch mechanical injection system's,large alloy block with two fuel pipes in it and if the old brain serves me correctly there is a second injector for the cold start.
I have known the mixture screw come out as people fiddle with them and this stops the engine running also,3mm screw in tube on body of control unit.
Old 29th December 2009, 08:11 PM

IF RUNS!!!!!!!!!!! YIPPIE, WHAT A GREAT XMAS AND NEW YEAR GIFT!

With special thanks to all the useful tips from everyone here and especially twinturbo who directed me to a car specific forum where I was provided with car specific details on the Bosch Injection K-jet System!

Dad and I where in the workshop and both had a spare hour towards the end of the day, so we decided to use our time wisely and check the timing of the dizzy along with the firing order. This all check out in conjunction to the cylinder positions.

We where both positive that the problem must be fuel related as it was so near to starting. Once again we bypassed the fuel pump relay to get the system up to pressure. On Xmas eve I had stripped the cold start injector and this was injecting while the starter motor was running. I also has system pressure but no fuel return.

With the extra pair of hands we started to turn the engine on the starter while I pushed the paddle by hand in the hope to force some fuel into the injectors. It was on the last attempt before we both got carbon monoxide poisoning! Any longer and we would have had to open the RSD. Suddenly I heard splashes in the tank from the fuel return..

Spurred on by this and for one last ditch effort for the day, and some extra pushes on the throttle for good luck it came alive!!! Yippie!!!

If only I had my camera to hand... Still, the new relay turned up today so will film it for you next time.

One again thanks and good luck for the new year.

Last edited by Spikehaus : 29th December 2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 29th December 2009, 08:25 PM

Great news Nick

You must be very relieved to have the engine running, well done mate

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 29th December 2009, 09:33 PM

nice one Nick, well done mate

look forward to the video

cheers
andy
Old 29th December 2009, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Excelent, Glad to be of help and glad my fellow XR enthusiasts were able to point you to a happy conclusion.

I know the joy of a running engine after a head scratcher. My first ever engine change was on br Brother in laws sierra. We had never tried a big job, we had never seen the replacement run!.. After a days work it did not fire.. But next morning whilst he was at work we gave it big effort and shre fired.. I ran all the way up and down the street waving at the neighbours who had shown intrest whilst walking past... Bro was so chuffed when I collected him from work in his own car. ( it was his first at 17, cost him £1400 and cracked a piston after 2 months (not his fault)... £450 for the replacement )

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 29th December 2009, 10:31 PM

At the start of my build 17 months ago I had done no more than nearly pour water in the oil inlet rather than the washer jet and changed a tyre for a girl at work I was trying to impress. The whole build has really caught my attention and giving me a few milestones to be proud of. We all share each others high points that help us motivate or builds. Soon be taking it for the first test run!
Old 29th December 2009, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikehaus View Post
At the start of my build 17 months ago I had done no more than nearly pour water in the oil inlet rather than the washer jet and changed a tyre for a girl at work I was trying to impress. The whole build has really caught my attention and giving me a few milestones to be proud of. We all share each others high points that help us motivate or builds. Soon be taking it for the first test run!

spike well done mate. shows that your noggin is still working. quite fun this car lark when it all finally comes together. next step test drive
Old 29th December 2009, 10:48 PM

Nick, your build photo blog has been an inspiration to my own build, and meeting you at Stoneleigh last year was a proving point for a few of us to get our cars finished.....hope i can still keep to our promise of getting our cars to the show

Just realised only 16 weeks to go, give or take a day or two

well done on your build mate.

cheers
andy
Old 29th December 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikehaus View Post
Nick I'm impressed! I'm a qualified mechanic, the first job I worked on when I started my apprenticeship was removing the engine and gearbox from a brand new MGBGT for a siezed speedo pinion. I'm rapidly approaching 50, I've worked in heavy industry, I've worked as a welder/fabricator, I have certs for MIG, TIG and MMA welding on mild steel, stainless steel, aluminium and cast iron ranging across all three processes. I've worked in a large factory in the development shop fabbing up first off from drawings to prove their design for production. I've worked for ABRO rebuilding engines, gearboxes and overhauling very complex hydraulic systems but for you to go from having changed a wheel to building a car from scratch and making it run in just seventeen months is outstanding!

I salute you sir Well done.

D.
Old 29th December 2009, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

yep well done

I have been doing things to cars since I was 17 ( 18 years ago ) nowt much phases me these days.

Hope you now have the bug too, just don't end up where I am with 4 part finished projects excludnign the unstarted Roadster!!

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders