Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd January 2011, 06:50 PM

Default New novice member

I am new to this forum after getting the book "build your own sports car on a budget" for Christmas. I am no novice to cars I drive a land rover defender 90 I built from scratch. I like to think I have a good grasp of engineering as I was bought up in and around a 38,000 sgft engineering factory (sorry if I make people jealous) but im always happy to share my facilities with other people. Anyway the point of this thread is to introduce myself and to get to know some fellow local builders maybe meet up over a pint to discuss where to start.
Happy new year to everyone
Old 2nd January 2011, 06:58 PM

Hiya Seb
Welcome to the forum....we have quite a roadster contingent up here, I'm only up to the chassis stage still.....should be a breeze for you then to knock out a nice machine, if you have not already, get yourself down to Saturn Sports Cars in Hartlepool and get Spud to take you out in his shuttle booster rocket...errr I mean roadster
Old 2nd January 2011, 07:29 PM

welcome , sounds like you have everything you need and with a workshop like that at your disposal i imagine you wil make freinds fast

who got you the book for christmas ? did you get them something very special in return ?
Old 2nd January 2011, 07:30 PM

A warm welcome to the forum Sebby

As Kev says, there are quite a few Roadster builders within a 35 mile radius of you, go & enjoy a passenger ride out in Spud,s car at Saturn, you,ll be grinning from ear to ear & be itching to get your own build underway

Nice Christmas prezzie, sounds like you have the space & equipment , to get your Roadster built

cheers
andy
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:01 PM

thankyou to your replys, i have been looking at saturns web site and am sure ill be dealing with them.
Was my father who got me the book i know hes always wanted one and guess he knew id build one.
So kev how far on are you with yours what route have you taken?
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:40 PM

Welcome to the forums,

I'm sure you will have a great time building the roadster and also quite easily with the correct tools and knowledge at your disposal.

Be sure to check the amendments HERE as there are the corrections in the book and also some useful info.

If you are in any doubt just ask and normally someone will come up with an answer as lots of people have already been at your stage in the build.

Have fun.
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:26 PM

As already said. Welcome to the forum. Another local roadster! Make sure you visit Saturn, you won't be disapointed.

My Build Diary - http://davesroadster.blogspot.com/

*updated 7/6/11*

Best bit so far: Getting it running
Worst bit so far: Cutting steel for wishbones and engine mounts.
Most annoying bit so far: Generator packing up half way through welding.
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:51 PM

Hey David just read through the blog i havnt yet started mine just doing a bit research. where in teeside are you?
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebby View Post
thankyou to your replys, i have been looking at saturns web site and am sure ill be dealing with them.
Was my father who got me the book i know hes always wanted one and guess he knew id build one.
So kev how far on are you with yours what route have you taken?
Hi again Seb...I am taking the Sierra route re most of the running gear apart from the engine and g/box, my choice for those is the nissan 200sx s13 engine commonly known as the CA18DET mated to the same s13 g/box...I'm at the stage of a 50% chassis build and now on with wishbones of which I am trying to bright nickel plate certain bits (bush tubes actually)
Have picked up a lot of tips on here that have been invaluable and Andy down at SSC will bend over backwards to help anyone has helped me out a few times now....just about any question will be answered if posted on here....especially Handandy ( he deems it as a challenge every time ) Actually been away from my build lately but you will see it soon creep back into the announcements section as I do not have a build blog site yet (must get around to doing that)....any way get planning dude, another NE roadster
soon to be born
Old 3rd January 2011, 01:23 AM

Sounds good keV, I'm no stranger to a challenge just fitted a p38 4.6 v8 to my defender on mega squirt.
I'd love to see a build in the early stages. If you need anything fabing up let me know. I'm thinking of doing my chasis in stainless with a polished hoop or maybe an Ali chassis