Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th August 2014, 10:03 AM

Default AC/DC tig welders

Been digging around the net looking for an ac/doc tig welder that I can afford to have in the man cave and came across one of the china manufacturers that are cheap enough just notable to sell me less than 5 of them so it got me thinking about another group buy

What I have so far is it will be about £350 shipped and imported duty paid to me plus about £ 25 delivery to your door that will include foot pedal

Not got full prices stamped down yet but just getting a feel for if it's worth continuing exploring
Old 18th August 2014, 12:11 PM

Just a word of warning about cheap welders in all that glitters does not always last more than a few hours use, you maybe lucky and get a good one I may just be unlucky.
I have a cheap from china ebay £130 'cut40' plasma cutter, that went back twice before I got one that would work for more than 30 seconds before the thermal trip cut in. I also was brought a cheap 'Giant WSE200 ac/dc 200amp' by my family a few years ago, while great at first it soon started to play up while running on AC for ali and now only works on DC. My welding consumables supplier is not even willing to look at it let alone repair it.
I'm not saying don't buy one for personal use how ever I would say you could buy better at second hand prices. If you are planning or looking to arrange a group buy of some thing of this nature just go in to it with your eyes fully open and understand that you could be setting your self up for some flack if it the products are not 100%.

Direct email talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Last edited by TalonMotorFabrication : 18th August 2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spellzing
Old 18th August 2014, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the advice phil but some of the used tig's seem to be upwards of a grand and I dont really know that much about them
I am starting a tig course in september so would like a reasonable one but cant justify spending a quarter of my build budget on a tig when I still gotta replace my mig that gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and my compressor that went south 2 years ago
Old 18th August 2014, 12:51 PM

Look at it like this, how often are you going to use it?

Every day to earn money with it? yes save a £1000 buy one it's a no brainer
Every week? Can you do the same job with a £500 MIG?
Once a month to make one part? Forget it just buy an ali fuel tank or what ever...

I need to spend around £20,000 on machines and tools to set the workshop up to make the parts I want to sell, but till then I pay some one else to make it for me as and I when I need to. Some times it's nice to have all your own tools to hand but it's not always practical to spend money on things that you could be using to buy coilovers,seats,body work,IVA ......

Direct email talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com
Old 18th August 2014, 01:07 PM

Got to admit I'd like a TIG, I would probably go for an R-Tech AC/DC and take them up on their 6 month payment option if I didnt have a baby due this week.

Cheers
Stot
Old 18th August 2014, 01:30 PM

I bought a tig (DC) only 200amp made in china it was les than half the price of a MIG here I have found it to very reliable ( thats now jinx it lol) Ive welded up the chassis and countles other small jobs over the 18 months Ive had it.

The only thing I have a gripe about is that I dont think the amp control is very reliable and also cant use a foot pedel tho it is an HF start.

so all from China is not crap (well not for the homr builder)
Old 18th August 2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stot View Post
Got to admit I'd like a TIG, I would probably go for an R-Tech AC/DC and take them up on their 6 month payment option if I didnt have a baby due this week.

Cheers
Stot
Congrats for later this week hope all goes well
Old 18th August 2014, 07:15 PM

Having three phase really helps , I have picked up a lot of top quality kit over a period of time for a fraction of the price of the cheap and nasty Chinese stuff. I got a 300amp miller ac/dc tig with over a grands worth of consumables and a 300 amp esab mig for less than £800. They are both pretty much as good as you can get, if they were 240 volt they would have been out of my reach.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 18th August 2014, 07:46 PM

Wife says I could get an industrial unit to work in but it world have to pay for itself so would need to make enough to cover rent power heat water and rates before I could even think about my own projects
Old 18th August 2014, 10:31 PM

Dave, if it was me I'd go with a known brand 2nd hand unit over a cheapo import, both for reliability and quality of function.