Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th May 2012, 08:42 PM

Hi Simon, Waoh, I'm very impressed by all the work you've done since our last contact: congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
Then I'll be measuring up and ordering the propshaft, and brake and fuel lines. and putting then painting the chassis + putting the floor in.
So I expect to hear from you soon?
Keep up the good work!
Regards.
Sylvain
Old 10th May 2012, 08:45 PM

Sylvain, you'll definitely be hearing from me shortly, I think around the start of June you'll have an order coming your way.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting

Last edited by Tatey : 10th May 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10th May 2012, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

There's a company in Brampton called DR Prop that may be worth speaking to for your prop.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 10th May 2012, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1708227240... 4.m1438.l2649

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 10th May 2012, 09:50 PM

Looks ace mate!, I absolutley lüüüüürve them carbon centre caps very nice work
Old 20th May 2012, 07:38 PM

Well I've made quite a bit of progress since the 10th. The pedal box is now finished (just needs fully welding). I have measured up my brake line and fuel lines and the order of that has gone in with Sylvian on the forum, I'll be paying for them on Monday so hopefully I'll have them to fit shortly. I decided to get the brake lines done in red to suit the car so hopefully they will look good, if not it's a lot of money to spend on something I may not like .

My brake reservoir has arrived along with the clevis pin for my brake pedal and I picked up a load of fasteners from my local bolt supplier (last time I'll be using them as I gave him a list of things I wanted and I got a load of compromises back so have ended up re-ordering a few fasteners online so I know what I'm getting.

I've now moved the chassis rail back to allow the standard thermostat housing to fit in, I've braced it quite a lot so hopefully I won't have lost much strength there, but even with the extra 25mm of clearance it inst actually possible to take the bottom thermostat housing bolt out unless you pull the engine forward, annoying, but it'll have to do and I doubt it'll be coming out anyway. I did contemplate getting an after market water rail but they cost around £200 and it really didn't seem worth it.

After having a play in the garage earlier on today it because apparent that the type 9 rubber gearbox mount is way to soft, and when using the standard coil pack bracket it is possible for the bracket to contact the chassis rail if you put some force into the gear box, the mount looks like it's on its last legs anyway so I've decided to buy one of the much stiffer Caterham gearbox mounts (£15 inc VAT), which should arrive next week. It does mean re-doing my gearbox mounts but it shouldn't take too long.

http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/produ...?id_product=85

The picture shows the underside of the mount and the v slot is on the other side, I will also be using a standard M12 bolt to fix the mount to the gearbox to increase the ground clearance when compared to the standard Ford part.

I also paid a visit to gaz05 from the forum today and he very kindly gave me a new metal inlet gasket for my 1.8 zetec and a throttle position sensor that I need for my megajolt setup.

So the next things on the list for my build are to get hold of more steel for the passenger seat mounts, order a megajolt system and fit the new gearbox mount and then order the propshaft. The new gearbox mounts and the passenger seat mounts are the only brackets left to go onto the chassis, once they have been done I can flip the chassis and fully weld it all, finish priming it and then paint it ready for the floor to go on.

My mates seem keen to give me a hand on the car and after starting the car nearly 3 years ago I think it's time I let them!

If anyone would like any pictures of anything then please feel free to give me a shout, I think I will also take a video of the current standard gearbox mount movement and then another one when I get the caterham mount.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Old 20th May 2012, 08:14 PM

While out in the garage videoing the gearbox movement thought I might as well take a picture:

And here is a video showing the severity of the gearbox movement, I'm looking forward to seeing how much better the Caterham mount is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dexfmtMJ974&hd=1

Old 20th May 2012, 08:48 PM

Default Tr5

Hi Tatey, thats a really nice looking build you got there, I have a question, TR5 isnt there, are you leaving that out permanently? Apart from that is the chassis book spec?

Apologies if you've covered it in the blog, I just went through it all but didnt see it.

Bruce
Old 20th May 2012, 09:09 PM

Simon,if you speak to Ginetta in Leeds and ask for the stat housing they use in the G20 they are about £40 and very short and low profile.
You may be able to see it on the Teamtrain pics on NTS website.

Have you got the large cup washer on the gearbox bolt.

Rally Design mount is the dogs bits and is what was fitted to the Teamtrain car I built.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.

Last edited by flyerncle : 20th May 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 20th May 2012, 09:12 PM

TR5 is the engine bay diagonal cross member I think? I was originally going for a CVH engine install and it was recommended that this wasnt put in as the engine wouldnt fit with it in and when I stripped it down it was proved to be a dud so I ended up going for a zetec engine instead, I've been waiting to finish my inlet system so I can see if I can put this back in, which I think in the next few days I'll have a look and see if it can.

But other than that it is a book spec chassis, other than the roll bar which has been extended due to my height (6'5"), its been increased in height by 125mm.