Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th June 2010, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default Suspension Tolerance PT2 ( P...d off )

So, if you read my other thread you will know that the chassis I bought has suspension brackets that are 2mm,ish too narrow.

Yesterday I made up a 44mm former and today I spread and adjusted the 4 passenger rear brackets. Then Tried to fit up the rear suspension again. Both wishbones swung realativly freely, but when it came to putting the upright on I observed the same problem as I had seen a week or so ago, namely that the top wishbone was about 4mm adrift at the upright.

I checked the other upper bone and this had the same. Without building a jig it was going to be a pain to check the bones, so 1st port of call were the brackets..

Just looking at the passenger top rear bracked in relation to it's counter part it looked out, looking in the book the bracket should be aligned with RS10 upright. But seemed to be 4-5mm Further forward. the other side was aligned as far as one could tell.

So I measured the dimensions, and sure enough the offset of the top and bottom brackets is 4mmish out compared to book...

So the upshot is, I have badly made brackets that are badly placed!

I was hoping to do very little welding on this project, but it now looks like I will be faced with grinding off and replacing all te dodgy brackets...

ARSE!

Not a happy bunny.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 28th June 2010, 10:22 PM

Well, I guess it's little consolation, but I should tell you I found positioning and welding on suspension brackets one of the most pleasant jobs on the car. I used two vertical pieces of MDF, 2 m of M12 threaded rod, and a lot of nuts:
http://locost.lt/download/file.php?id=138&mode=view

On the rear I cheated a bit and passed the boards, used threaded rods, G clamps, and lots of measuring.