Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th August 2012, 07:05 PM

Default Chassis paint

Popped to an auto paint supplier on the way home from work to get some POR-15 Chassis paint but he didn't have any only Tetrasyl Chassis Paint... anyone ever used it? If so how did you get on?

I thought it wasn't a bad deal at £38 for 5 litres

Rapid
Old 30th August 2012, 07:10 PM

At that price it sounds like its what we call chassis black, if it is pass up on it because its a bit soft and takes an age to fully harden. You just cant beat 2k imho.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 30th August 2012, 07:31 PM

chassis black is what i used it is ment to stay slightly soft thats how it doesen chip! its a paint that is designed to be used on chassis's and underframe parts getting batterd by grit and dirt

i gave a ring to my old paint supplier to see if i could get whats best for the job and was pointed to hum drum chassis black and the bloke giggled and said i could have some free if i paid for postage of a 45gal drum ! tuned out cheaper to buy a 5l tin still have half left
Old 30th August 2012, 09:08 PM

POR 15 is good and goes a long way,I used the six can kit and it stands outside all day for the past 18 months or so and no rust under the primer coat.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 31st August 2012, 10:40 PM

hmm... I bought a tin so I'll give it a go, one of the guys in work used it on his landy about 12M ago and he thrashes it greenlaning and swears by the stuff...

Well I guess this is what building a car is all about trying new stuff and giving it a go.... (that's just me trying to convince myself it will work )

I'll paint some on this week and report back my findings.

I'm expecting a 1-2 week cure so don't hold your breath for results straight away but I'll let you know

Rapid
Old 31st August 2012, 10:41 PM

On a +ve note... got my fuel tank fabricated this week ... custom designed fabbed in 3mm aluminium (that's all the bloke could get his hands on) for material and labour (with swirl pot a s well) £70.

Can't complain, the guy did a great job and picking it up Monday

I think that's a nice little deal
Old 1st September 2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidtornado View Post
hmm... I bought a tin so I'll give it a go, one of the guys in work used it on his landy about 12M ago and he thrashes it greenlaning and swears by the stuff...

Well I guess this is what building a car is all about trying new stuff and giving it a go.... (that's just me trying to convince myself it will work )

I'll paint some on this week and report back my findings.

I'm expecting a 1-2 week cure so don't hold your breath for results straight away but I'll let you know

Rapid
Best of luck. A 1ltr tin of 2k and an air brush spray gun would come to less than the big tin of chassis black. You would also get to put your car together this year Dont get me wrong we use the stuff on truck chassis`s but thats the sort of place it belongs,its not the sort of thing I would put on a roadster chassis as it will be a major ball ache to stip it off .

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 2nd September 2012, 01:52 PM

2k has isocyanate in so what about the cost of all the protective gear like air fed masks
its not stuff to be messing around with dont get it on skin or breath it! ok if you use it all the time know what you are doing and have all the gear but not realy idel for home use.
i just dont like hearing the gone to hosptal tales with people who dont know what thay are doing

my chassis black dried in a day and fully hard in a few days in winter with no extra heat. your not mixxing it up with underseal or shultz are you?
Old 4th September 2012, 12:55 PM

While on the subject, then, what sort of protective gear do you need if you were to use the chassis black (number p140 from frost.co.uk,) either thinned down and sprayed or brushed on?

Thanks, Ash
Old 4th September 2012, 02:09 PM

Only PPE I'm using is gloves, disposable mask and safety glasses, not mixing it with anything just applying to the chassis straight from the tin with a brush.

One of the guys in work used the same stuff on his MG 2 weeks ago and applied it to bare metal (with no primer) and the stuff has gone off solid in 48 hrs...

I'll give it a go on a small area first to see how it goes, I'll give it a week, if it doesn't cure then I'll rethink my plans

I would adopt the option Robo has suggested but I don't have the real estate or equipment to do 2 PK spray so I'm comprising with chassis paint