Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th June 2014, 07:43 PM

Default Gaps between GRP panels and chassis rails

Hi,
I trimmed my bodywork panels as much as I could and now, everything (temporarily) fits together. However, I have big gaps at a lot of different places

2014-06-26_18-48-05 par Voucht71, sur Flickr

(other pictures pictures).

With the side panel top edge being to high (8mm gap between this edge and the top side of the top rails), my nose cone needs to be raised of more than 10mm! So here again, I need something to fill the gap.

2014-06-26_18-55-43 par Voucht71, sur Flickr

Of course, these gaps are not regular: when I have 8mm at the front, going backwards, it is going down slowly to finally touch the top rail nicely at the scuttle level.

I planned to attach my side panels to the chassis with rivnuts in the top and lower rail (I want my side panels to be removable) and bolts on the top edges (countersunk where there will be the bonnet on top) and bottom edge of the side panel. But with these gaps on the top edges, (bonnet and cockpit level), I feel like I won't be able to correctly tighten the bolts without braking the GRP. Am I right? So I think I need to pack these gaps any way possible.

I bought rubber bands and trims in different thickness’s, but I'm not sure it is the ideal things to fill these gaps. And I'm wondering if rubber is really a good idea as it will be kind of soft anyway, and I'm afraid the GRP panel moves too much and end up cracking, or even worse: braking.

So, what would you do if you were me? Any advices or ideas?

Thank you very much in advance.