Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th June 2013, 03:42 PM

I considered doing that TT but the threaded length wasn't long enough to exit out of the bottom of my headlight bracket and I really didn't want to modify the bracket.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 30th July 2013, 09:32 PM

Hi Tatey,
I sorted the headlight socket adapter this weekend. Basically I cut most of the socket away apart from 20mm from the top and left a spine of about 20mm from top to bottom of the socket. The bottom part where the 1/2" drive goes I didn't touch. The 20mm at the top I cut a slot in for the wires to pass through.
I tried it on mine and it works. You get a good half turn on the nut before you have to pull it down and get another bite on the nut....(that sounds wrong).....
I forgot to take a photo but will post one soon and all will become clear.

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:59 PM

Hi Tatey,
Here's a couple of photos of my modified socket. You can only give it about half a turn at a time but good enough for adjusting.

Hope this helps...

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno
Old 31st August 2013, 08:45 PM

Well it's been 2 months since I've managed to do any work on my kit car due to working down in Hinckley at Triumph and my kit car being located 200 miles north at my parents in Newcastle.

This was the first weekend that I had nothing else on so I decided it was time to put some work in! Out came the hole saw and in went the fuel level sender, I may have mounted it slightly too far inboard and it now fouls my tank straps, but the straps happily sit on top of it, so at the moment I think I will leave it where it is and if it annoys me in the future I'll change my tank strap arrangement or get a larger fuel tank and move the position of it then.

The next job on the list was the exhaust, the exhaust bends had already arrived (2" mild steel ERW) which meant that I could cut and weld it myself instead of paying for someone else to do it. I decided to go for cheap bend which means they have some necking which will restrict my exhaust some what, but I am planning on upgrading to a stainless system later on anyway so it is a decent temporary fix.

The most difficult part of the exhaust was making the matching flange for the manifold, it was only difficult because it took some time and a bit of fettling. After tacking everything together and chopping the bends to suit it all went together quite nicely, I then fully welded everything together and put it back on the car and I have to say I am quite impressed with it. The exhaust is also rock solid which I originally felt might be an issue as the rubber mount I have used seemed a bit too compliant.

The welds still need to be dressed and the exhaust needs wrapping but other than that it is complete.

Let me know what you think.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Old 5th February 2014, 04:30 PM

Apologies for the severe lack of updates on here but there hasn't been any work done on my car since the last update as I've been working in Hinckley with my car being up in Newcastle, I was supposed to be going away with the army for 12 months next week but that was cancelled last Thursday so I am now on the hunt for a house with a garage so I can finally finish off my car! It may be a couple of months until I find one, but rest assured that my car will be on the road this summer!

I hope everyone is well and I look forward to getting back into the game.

Old 5th February 2014, 08:08 PM

Nice to see you have not given up .

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 6th February 2014, 09:02 AM

Hi Simon!

Nice to see you're still alive
So finally, my car might be on the road before yours... it is going to be a tight finish

Have you noticed that some members want to be added to the members location map? As you were the one who managed that and started the thread, perhaps you can have a look at your original thread?

Thanks, and good luck for all that is coming
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:01 PM

Well good news, I'll be moving into a new house on Friday with a garage! So on Friday I'll be driving up to Newcastle to pick up the Haynes, last Sunday I spent the day stripping it all down so it'll fit in the back of a long wheel base sprinter. I've also finished planning my cooling system so once pay day hits I can order the rest of the bits I need and on my way up to Newcastle I'll be picking up a sheet of aluminium to make my side panels, I'm hoping I'll be able to make reasonable progress on it now, I'm determined to get it on the road this summer!

I'll make sure I get some picture of it all in the back of the van.

Old 30th April 2014, 11:02 AM

Well the move went well, I just need to source some fluorescent lights and an extension cable to get power to the garage and I'll be all good to get to get cracking on my build. I also managed to pick up the aluminium I need to create my side panels. So hopefully next week I'll be able to get some more pictures of the build.

Old 30th April 2014, 11:55 AM

Hi Simon,
Good to see you back.
Considering the long break you took, I could say proudly that I'm now ahead of you in my build, but actually, I'm not even sure !
Good luck mate