Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th March 2011, 04:16 PM

Great suggestions bonzo, unfortunately they didnt work Because of where it sits theres no way to get the grinder in there. Tried heating it up with a blow torch and pouring water on it but still didn't loosen it, then the nut kind of disentigrated on me so now theres no way to get it off now. I did manage to get the downpipe disconnected though farther along underneath the car so the whole thing will have to come out with the engine and then try to get it off afterwards. Theres also a sensor of some kind that connects into the downpipe that I cant get off (again rusted on solid) so I'm gonna have to just disconnect the wire from the loom I reckon and just leave the wire attached to the downpipe and try and get it off later (dont really like working under the car any more than I need to). Think I've got everything else disconnected now though so hopefully I can pull it out next weekend with the help of a friends crane
Old 6th March 2011, 06:25 PM

Default Sensor

The sensor in the down pipe is probably the Lahmde sensor, I'm no expert but I think it sends information to the engine management system about how the engine is burning and if it needs to change the fuel air mixture or not. If anybody knows any better please feel free correct my mistake.

All the best with your build.
Old 6th March 2011, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

If it's a CFi then yes it probably is a Lambda Sensor.

22mm ( may be 24mm ) Ring spanner and a swift tap with a rubber mallet usualy gets them going.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 7th March 2011, 06:13 PM

Ok good to know what it's called. I'll try and get it off once the engine is out, I take it I'll still need it on the roadster for the engine to work properly? Also, theres another connection on the exhaust manifold itself, kind of a metal pipe that goes around to somewhere behind the engine. I can't really see where it goes and I'm wondering if I need to disconnect it before taking the engine out? (in case it doesn't connect onto the engine but something else). I've attached a couple of pictures of it. I tried loosening it but again it's on really tight and not really sure which of the hex's you have to loosen? (one closest to the manifold needs a 1 inch wrench, other is much bigger and not sure what size wrench as I didn't have one big enough to fit it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust manifold connection 1.jpg (95.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust manifold connection 2.jpg (76.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 7th March 2011, 07:18 PM

Not sure what that is but it looks like an oil pipe, if you don't get a decent answer tonight I have got a 1.6 CVH Sierra and my Haynes manual at work, I can have a look tomorrow and then let you know.
Old 7th March 2011, 08:54 PM

If I am not mistaken, that pipe in the manifold looks very much as if it is part of some form of. Exhaust Gas Recirculation, EGR as it is known !!??
All part of the emissions crap that they stared to put on some cars.

Any how, hold the bottom fitting with a wrench to stop it from turning & undo the top fitting using another wrench.

You can expect that fitting to be very tight due to heat & corrosion , they often are

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 8th March 2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
If I am not mistaken, that pipe in the manifold looks very much as if it is part of some form of. Exhaust Gas Recirculation, EGR as it is known !!??
All part of the emissions crap that they stared to put on some cars.

Any how, hold the bottom fitting with a wrench to stop it from turning & undo the top fitting using another wrench.

You can expect that fitting to be very tight due to heat & corrosion , they often are
looks like EGR or air injection both would be for emissions
Old 8th March 2011, 08:22 PM

So main question, where does it go and do I need to worry about disconnecting it before taking the engine out?
Old 8th March 2011, 09:15 PM

I had a look on the 1.6 CVH but it doesn't have one, so I would say the best thing to do is try to trace its route, you will probably find it does go somewhere else on the engine then when you lift the engine out just keep a close eye on it to make sure its not connected else where.
Old 16th March 2011, 07:08 PM

Been trying to get the engine out again today. Decided to try and get the engine out without the gearbox as the underside of the car is badly rusted and I don't really feel very safe working under it while it's on axle stands. I tried getting the prop shaft off the gearbox and again the bolts are badly rusted and stuck tight and it seemed to groan a bit when I tried using a hammer and wrench to loosen them. So I thought it would be best to leave the gearbox and bottom of the car for now and get the engine out, then flip the car onto its side to get everything off the bottom of the car. Problem is when I tried rocking the engine forward and back to release it from the gearbox it wouldn't budge. I can't see any other bolts holding it in and I had my wife doing the rocking while I looked around the seam to see if it was seperating anywhere and it wasn't Can anyone shed any light on where I'm likely to be going wrong? I've lifted the engine clear of the studs on the rubber bits holding it to the chassis so I know it's not stuck there...