Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st June 2009, 10:58 PM

Default Engine Numbers and V5s

Hello

In the past few days I've found a few interesting sierras from various sources. A couple of them have recon engines fitted, but talking to the owners, they never updated the numbers on the V5s. If I bought the car, had the details changed then in a years time came to register my roadster with the bits from this sierra would I have problems proving the age etc for registration purposes?

Cheers

Dave
Old 2nd June 2009, 07:57 AM

Hi David.

I would say that if you keep the V5 up to date, there should not be a problem.

It is easy to check the engine number against the cars vin plate. Ford use the the engine number as the last part of the VIN.

If the engine number is still legible you can check at a glance if the car has its original engine.

My advice, Buy a suitable car, wait for DVLA to send you the V5. Once you have it, send it back to DVLA to notify them of the new engine mumber.

This will keep the cars records up to date. Keep the car on SORN until you are ready to register your build.

DVLA will normally only question an engine change if the taxation class is affected or the type of fuel has changed.

Burton power have a usefull guide to Ford engine production dates.

Linky

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:27 PM

It's not quite that easy anymore as you have to provide proof to the dvla when you change the engine and also any change in size. At the very least you'd need a bill of sale for the engine or an engineers report. See link below.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ate/DG_4022054

HTH.
Old 2nd June 2009, 04:25 PM

I still see no major problems here .

Rading the DVLA link. It is noted that an engineers report will suffice if the engine was changed prior to purchace of the car.

Any friendly Mot garage should be happy to provide confirmation of engine change.

Due to the multitude of road tax bands based both on engine size & emissions is the reason why DVLA are keen to ensure you are not seeking to alter the cars tax band.

I doubt very much that DVLA will be very interested in pre 1995 donor cars.

If you are going for an age related plate for your build you may still qualify for an age related plate even if the donors engine is not used.

Check this link DVLA

In particular the Kit Conversions section.

If you are in any doubt then it may be wise to contact you local DVLA office

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 2nd June 2009, 05:44 PM

DVLA will accept a letter from a garage stating what has been fitted to the vehicle regarding replacement engines.
If you send them a letter saying you have changed the engine that is one thing they will request guaranteed.
Nicked from VOSA website !

"written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle"

Last edited by flyerncle : 2nd June 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 2nd June 2009, 08:57 PM

You need to read through the IVA on this very carefully as you may be required to provide evidence of age of manufacture of the engine if this cannot be determined from the donor vehicle. Changing the engine number just before stripping the donor for your kit is a 'dodge' they are onto as is changing the engine after IVA which you could be at risk of having to resit the test!
They will likely want to see the donor being used after the engine change date.
Either get a donor with the right engine number in the first place or accept the Q plate and start off with your engine of choice....

HTH
Old 7th June 2009, 08:24 PM

Hey guys

Thanks for the replies and apologises for the delay in replying - it's been one of them weeks, but almost into the new garage, and a couple of kind mates even turned up with a pickup full of wood for the build board the other day!

I think i'm gonna givve the re-engined cars a miss to be on the safe side, would hate to build the whole car then find myself in a minefield of paperwork and arguments with the DVLA.

Cheers

Dave