Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th July 2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
Someone enterprising could do a basic Roadster kit with bones and 6 piece body set for £1500/£1600 and maybe get more of them out there...

Hmmmmm

andy
Old 18th July 2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
Someone enterprising could do a basic Roadster kit with bones and 6 piece body set for £1500/£1600 and maybe get more of them out there...
That would be 'kin difficult. The equivalent from MK is £1995 (although that includes mushrooms, rear uprights, suspension bushes and rack shortening) and the Indy chassis is much simpler than the Haynes, mainly because of the clever use of tube bending, so to undercut them by £400 odd would take some doing
Old 18th July 2009, 10:28 PM

I must admit, that is cheap, but the guy next door fully welded my chassis ( less the suspension brackets in about 4-5 hours. And if they have a large stock of box section the shelf, they may just want to turn it into easy money if other order for other work is slow. If it is anything like the fabricator I know, work is work or no food on the table.

However, I still believe that the correct cost should be £650 - £850 and I would have to know the fabricator personally before buying at that price. After all, it's your life at risk, but I am sure that every amateur (LOL) will but more love and care into every weld and keep re-doing it until its perfect!
Old 18th July 2009, 10:37 PM

If my Chassis were to fail, I would rather it be a fault of my own rather than scrimping on time to blame it on some one else
Old 18th July 2009, 10:51 PM

can i ask a rather blunt question please,

whilst i,m one of the many builders that have built their OWN chassis, & acknowledge that is the purpose of "the Book"

but?????

if a chassis was available pre-made at a good price & with good quality steel, welding etc then surely it would give builders the option to kickstart their build would it not?

a price has been banded about of say £650 to £850 for the chassis, poss other options as per Fabby,s post,

given the man hours to get a chassis to the point of almost ready to roll then i believe it can look like an attractive option to new builders.

i would imagine this is how other "kit car" companies started out, from small acorns grow large tree,s so to speak.

your comments welcomed,

andy
Old 18th July 2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
can i ask a rather blunt question please,

whilst i,m one of the many builders that have built their OWN chassis, & acknowledge that is the purpose of "the Book"

but?????

if a chassis was available pre-made at a good price & with good quality steel, welding etc then surely it would give builders the option to kickstart their build would it not?

a price has been banded about of say £650 to £850 for the chassis, poss other options as per Fabby,s post,

given the man hours to get a chassis to the point of almost ready to roll then i believe it can look like an attractive option to new builders.

i would imagine this is how other "kit car" companies started out, from small acorns grow large tree,s so to speak.

your comments welcomed,

andy
That is always a great idea, and can benifit not only people who dont have the time, it would be a great option for people eithout the equiptment to weld. However, im not sure that the haynes roadster would then be the best option for people who may not build the chassis, as i know there are cars like the robin hood or indy that are 'kit cars' as they are sold as kits, so again, the roadster may not be the best route for those people, however if someone has their heart set on one, i think it is always great to have the option to buy the kit as oppoesed to making it as i gues the advantage of a kit roadster it still gives you much freedom to do as you like with the car.
Old 18th July 2009, 11:10 PM

i think it its possible to do

lets imagine that its a steel fabricating firm building it

steel is about a third of the price it was last year, i got given the steel for my chassis but to buy from a builders yard would have cost me about £100. so lets say that they got it at cost £50ish or it could be left overs from other projects/jobs so that would be free then

if they are a steel fabricators then they will have the tools and equipment to build it so no additional cost there

if they are going to be building lots of them then i would imagine that they will have a jig made up for various sections such as the bottom rails and the top rails and then a jig for clamping the top and bottom together at the right distance, then just the simple job of attaching the uprights this would give you the basic chassis and i think that it could be done in a day or less
Old 18th July 2009, 11:34 PM

Most steel fabricators will have to buy in the steel, as they will rarely be using 1.6erw otherwise. In their racks they would be unlikey to have anything thinner that 2mm.

Building a full chassis jig would not be economic unless they were going to do quite a few, but what really takes the time is preparing the stock to the correct lengths and angles. There are just so many different pieces that even if they had a nifty machine for cutting them, something that could do some of the really acute angles in one go, that it will still be very time absorbing.

The Haynes design works because if the bottom is done right, and care is taken with the rest of it then a reasonablty accurate chassis will result, but at £350 for the whole lot, how much care could be taken?
Old 19th July 2009, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

considering ordering one just to see what it comes out like. anyone wanna go halfs?
Old 19th July 2009, 12:13 AM

I noticed this whilst browsing ebay. The guy is only 30 or so miles away from me, so I sent him an email for a bit more info.

Its only the bare chassis and doesnt come with any of the chassis plates.

He gave me an email address that had talon motorsports in it, so I googled it. Found talon sports cars, but not sure if its the same guy.

I'm looking to buy a chassis as complete as possible, and expected to be paying closer to the £800 mark