Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th September 2010, 12:20 PM

Default Using a FWD Engine?

Hi guys, I'm in the very (very) early stages of planning a build - I'm considering getting on a welding course as I'm still in an apprenticeship right now so funds won't allow for a build for at least two years :P

I've somehow got it into my head that I'd like a specific engine, but I've no idea if it's even possible!

I'm after light weight and economy - I've never driven RWD before, and don't plan on huge amounts of power, all I'm after is a fun drive and a good project!

I'm currently thinking of using the 1KR-FE engine, seen in Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, Toyota Aygo etc. It's a Toyota engine, and uses a Toyota box; but it's FWD.
Is it possible to use such an engine? I'm not sure what extra work it'd need to transfer the power to the rear, but I'd be game for it if it's doable.

Basic specs of the engine are good for me, 3 cylinder, 12 valve, 68hp and one of the lightest production model engines (69kg) - it's just under the litre, and I've driven the C1 with one in and the power would be more than adequate for me on a lighter car!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KR_engine

Just looking for advice:
- Will the engine fit? (not sure if it's too deep/tall)
- What is needed to convert to RWD (if possible)?
- Anything else anyone could throw in!

Any help is much appreciated!!