Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th September 2013, 10:31 PM

Default Starting another build thread!

Hi all, I have been looking on here for a while now & had convinced myself that my new project would be a self build 7 replica. I decided that the mx5 route would probably be the best way to go. That was a couple of months ago, I also thought, no rush, we are in the middle of planning a wedding, trying to move the future in-laws from a 3 bed house to a 1 bed apartment!!
Anyway as I was browsing ebay, as you do, I came across a chassis for sale, vmax1974, I ended up putting in a bid & won. No problem I thought, i'll just put the chassis in the garage for now. Trouble is you can't just leave it alone!! So I started to finish of the chassis, just plod on I thought. Anyway last Tuesday the girlfriend trashes the back tyre on her, mid life crisis SLK, rings up for assistance & then proceeds on her way out in my car, leaving me stranded with the SLK! Same thing on Wednesday morning, I have to sort her car out & be late into work while she takes mine.
The guy in the local tyre shop also does a bit with MX5's so as he's relieving me of cash for a tyre, I say do you know of any rotten MX5's, 1.8 etc. He turned round & pointed to a car outside & says how about that one! 1.8 limited slip diff etc, import. He bought it for the roof, which was new. Any way he wanted roof seats, lights, window glass & a few other bits. A deal was done & it now sits in my garage! I think £150 was a bit of a good deal!
So it wasn't my fault that I bought it because if my girlfriend hadn't trashed her tyre I would never been in the tyre shop!!
So even though I wasn't really ready to start, it is happening, work on the chassis will now stop for a while whilst I get the MX5 stripped & get some garage space back, apparently my 8 x 4 trailer is now spoiling the view of the garden.
I have included a few photo's to show the MX5 & full garage.

I will try & keep up the posts but time is of a premium at the moment.

hope my ramblings aren't too bad

Hope the pictures have uploaded
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0491 (640x478) (240x179).jpg (58.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0495 (478x640) (179x240).jpg (59.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0496 (640x478) (240x179).jpg (63.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0497 (640x478) (240x179).jpg (62.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0499 (640x478) (240x179).jpg (67.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 7th September 2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropper View Post
Hi all, I have been looking on here for a while now & had convinced myself that my new project would be a self build 7 replica. I decided that the mx5 route would probably be the best way to go. That was a couple of months ago, I also thought, no rush, we are in the middle of planning a wedding, trying to move the future in-laws from a 3 bed house to a 1 bed apartment!!
Anyway as I was browsing ebay, as you do, I came across a chassis for sale, vmax1974, I ended up putting in a bid & won. No problem I thought, i'll just put the chassis in the garage for now. Trouble is you can't just leave it alone!! So I started to finish of the chassis, just plod on I thought. Anyway last Tuesday the girlfriend trashes the back tyre on her, mid life crisis SLK, rings up for assistance & then proceeds on her way out in my car, leaving me stranded with the SLK! Same thing on Wednesday morning, I have to sort her car out & be late into work while she takes mine.
The guy in the local tyre shop also does a bit with MX5's so as he's relieving me of cash for a tyre, I say do you know of any rotten MX5's, 1.8 etc. He turned round & pointed to a car outside & says how about that one! 1.8 limited slip diff etc, import. He bought it for the roof, which was new. Any way he wanted roof seats, lights, window glass & a few other bits. A deal was done & it now sits in my garage! I think £150 was a bit of a good deal!
So it wasn't my fault that I bought it because if my girlfriend hadn't trashed her tyre I would never been in the tyre shop!!
So even though I wasn't really ready to start, it is happening, work on the chassis will now stop for a while whilst I get the MX5 stripped & get some garage space back, apparently my 8 x 4 trailer is now spoiling the view of the garden.
I have included a few photo's to show the MX5 & full garage.

I will try & keep up the posts but time is of a premium at the moment.

hope my ramblings aren't too bad

Hope the pictures have uploaded

Hi there it's good to see vmaxs build is still in progress.

Where abouts are you?

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 7th September 2013, 10:52 PM

Hi I am based in Lancashire, between Preston & Southport
Old 8th September 2013, 02:36 AM

Well, it's your destiny, see! I wish you that your current motivation carries through to the end, if you have enough of enthusiasm and money, you could be done in 6 months or so!
Old 8th September 2013, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

there was/is a couple of builders in your area.

Welcome in, and perhaps the donor find is a sign of good luck

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 8th September 2013, 10:51 AM

Thanks Guys, motivation is there, money is a bit lacking with a wedding to pay for, but there's lots to do which needs more of a time commitment rather than cash, hopefully I will still make money back on the mx5 bits I don't need, it's an import so has air-con & power steering, the Aircon even works.
Old 8th September 2013, 11:48 AM

Welcome Cropper, good to know that a build started on here has been taken up by yourself .....good luck and anything you want to know just ask on here.
Old 8th September 2013, 12:21 PM

Welcome. A word of caution though - just because it is an Eunos doesn't mean that it has an LSD. It's the most common misconception. FWIW the Torsen LSDs are worth £250 on their own.
Old 8th September 2013, 12:43 PM

The guy who I got it off told me it had a LSD & he deals with MX5's all the time so I presume he is correct, time will tell I suppose when I can get to it properly. Even if it isn't I think I got a good deal.
Old 8th September 2013, 01:30 PM

Cant wait to see it progress glad to see it go to a good home

Keep up the good work