Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th January 2010, 01:06 PM

I must admit i was talking about n/a motors with the inlet manifold still on which ends up very tall indeed

As you rightly say the turbo 3sgte isnt that tall and thats because it has a different inlet manifold arrangement

Dont want to put anyone off doing it and im not saying it cant be done but i too was a massive jap fan and wanted a jap engine but after weighing up the pros and cons of dimensions,cost, gearbox and weight i opted out of using one for something more simple and cost effective, if i were to go toyota it would be a 4age engine as its quite a light engine with a good power output for its size

Ford (2lt zetec) is the cheapest way of achieving what i ultimately want and is achievable on a sensible budget.

Last edited by mark : 19th January 2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: more info
Old 19th January 2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
I must admit i was talking about n/a motors with the inlet manifold still on which ends up very tall indeed

As you rightly say the turbo 3sgte isnt that tall and thats because it has a different inlet manifold arrangement

Dont want to put anyone off doing it and im not saying it cant be done but i too was a massive jap fan and wanted a jap engine but after weighing up the pros and cons of dimensions,cost, gearbox and weight i opted out of using one for something more simple and cost effective, if i were to go toyota it would be a 4age engine as its quite a light engine with a good power output for its size

Ford (2lt zetec) is the cheapest way of achieving what i ultimately want and is achievable on a sensible budget.
I agree. It would be nice to have something different but it is easier to fit the ford unit. I'll have to search the threads to see what donor is the best for getting a 2.0 zetec. On a similar note, I think I am becomming obsessed with the idea of an individual throttle body set up on the zetec!
Old 2nd May 2011, 06:39 AM

I am just starting a re-power of my Haynes with a gen 4 3sgte motor and 6 speed altezza box.
So far it looks like the gearbox will fit into the chassis without any tubes being trimmed. Also, the motor will fit under the bonnet without needing to put a bulge in it.

The sump is a tin item from a gen 3, with a 5sge oilpump ( built in relief valve). I will need to chop about 1 1/2" from the sump, but there is plenty of width to make the sump wider.

The inlet manifold will need a trim as well.

http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/download/file.php?id=591

http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/download/file.php?id=502