Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th June 2009, 08:49 PM

Hi, ok well i only spent about an hour this afternoon,but got sb1 and sb2 welded on. I only tacked them on lightly in case i welded them at a slightly incorrect angle which was a good idea as it was only slightly off as predicted, but this was easily fixed as i left enough play in sb1's. Well atm all parts are dimensionally acurate with about +-0.5mm in most places but in one or 2 places im about 2-3mm off(not bad i guess). Well i wont be building this weekend as im busy and until next thursday as im off for the shell economy marathon at rockingham raceway . Here my progress so far:

Old 26th June 2009, 09:04 PM

Also i thought i should introduce myself, well, my name is Murtaza im 16, yes 16 and currently go to trinity school in croydon. I have been involved with trinity school racing(link) for about 4 years and have a thorough interest and experiance(i hope)in all things mechanical. Trinty school racing is really what got me interested in this sort of thing in the first place and i absoloutely love it. My first car repairs were earlier this year where my dads car engine needed replacing and i volenteered to do it and all went well. I thought about building a car soon after and at first was very keen to build a replica of one of these and after much research i found that it would be too difficult to design this and there were too many complications of going into the unknown. I then came across ron champions book and read that, only then to find the book by chris gibbs. After further reasearch i started to build this as i have just over 2 months as my gcse's finished 2 weeks ago. I am lucky to be funded by my parents as they wholey encourage me to do things like this. I hope i havnt picked somthing to do thats to much for myself, but so far so good. Well i guess many of you will think im quite lucky to be building this at 16, but so do i . Well i think that i will enjoy the process of the build throughly(apart from the fact i wont be able to drive it when im finished ) and so far would like to thank everybody on the forum who has helped me and given me advice to get to the stage im at now. Thanks

Last edited by geeman : 26th June 2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 26th June 2009, 10:58 PM

wow thats alot of involvement in a mechanical background for one so young,
the project of building a Roadster must be quite a challenge that will be something to be very proud of when you have completed the build,
may i ask how long are you thinking it will take to complete your Roadster ? i,m thinking of when you become old enough to drive etc

said with a smile my son is older than you & you now make me feel very old , laughs
seriously tho... best of luck with your build, the forum is here to help all Roadster builders regardless of age.

cheers
andy
Old 27th June 2009, 12:40 AM

Default My Chassis build

Well done Geeman,I am impressed,very impressed,you can be well proud of yourself and I bet your parents are also,good on them for encouraging you.Keep up the good work,I am sure that you will see it through and you will have good reason to be proud of yourself.Something tells me that you will go a long way in this life,stay focused,see the project through to completion.Regards David
Old 27th June 2009, 11:24 AM

Cant believe your tackling this at 16 years old shouldnt you be down the park drinking cider and throwing up on other 16 year olds!

On a serious note it will be a fantastic achievment for someone so young to finish a build like this. There will be times im sure when things cause you problems (im sure everyone will agree) its just part and parcel of building something like this, but keep at it and dont lose your motivation and you will get there
Old 27th June 2009, 11:26 AM

Well done young Man ! Be an Engineer not a Mechanic.

Mark,not all of them are car stealing,beer drinking drug taking Chav u hate,1 % is not that bad!
Old 27th June 2009, 11:38 AM

Good on you geeman

It is refreshing to see a youngster inerested in this type of project

I hope your build goes well & the end product exceedes your expectations

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 27th June 2009, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
Well done young Man ! Be an Engineer not a Mechanic.

i second that.
Old 27th June 2009, 03:27 PM

HI all, thanks for all the encouragement given. I really appreciate all the help i can get and really am enjoying this so far. Handyandy, i hope to finish the bulk of this project in the coming 2 months, and then slowly get it to iva standard within a year(or if im lucky much sooner). Im 17 this september so can get my liscence then but i am nearly 100% sure i wont be able to get any insurance until im at least 19. again thanks for the encouragement, it means alot.

Well today i havnt been very busy, i got the chance to do some more so finished tacking on some of the rear bits, but i stopped todays work after getting througholy stuck when trying to cut sb5 and sb6 so gave up for today I thought id cut it right, then when i tried to put it in place it was completely wrong so ill try next week.

Well i wont be building for more than an hour tomorrow and then will be taking a break until friday as i wont be home, ill be enjoying the shell economy marathon .
Thanks
Old 27th June 2009, 06:52 PM

Hats off to ya Murtaza! its coming along nicely-well done fella!gonna be frustrating when its built and legally ya cant drive it!(I did say legally lol!)
Andrew