Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th November 2009, 10:33 AM

Default A Thought For Stoneleigh

Right,

I am sat at work with nothing to do and my mind started drifting. I was thinking about how to big up the Haynes Roadster for the Stoneleigh show.

I remember when I used to go to Land Rover shows; there was a bloke that used to be on Salvage Squad (the annoying tall one) who, with the help of the series 1 owners club rebuilt a Series 1 over the show weekend.

Now this would have to be backed and run by the likes of Saturn Sports Cars or 3GE. I don’t have any insight to the political implications between the two companies, from my point of view every one gets on well.

My idol thoughts are we, the Haynes Roadster Forum, build, from scratch, a rolling chassis over the course of the two days. If we go for a rolling chassis we would only require sierra hubs, no engine, gearbox, diff etc.

Remember I am only thinking out loud. So if one company takes up the challenge and here’s the rub, the organisation required could be huge, equipment required, the health and safety implications of welding and grinding in a tent in a field could mean it’s not possible before it has begun, power, I seem to remember you need a 3 phase generator for welding.

The more I think about it the more implausible it becomes!

However from seeing the hive of activity around Ash’s car at Exeter and all the people taking a close interest in minor and major engineering accomplishments I think we would require barriers and a cueing system set up!

Now I am thinking again, bare with me, this really is way out there. All the companies that supply parts/products solely for the Roadster come together on one big stand with there own dedicated area. In the middle is the Roadster being built by Forum members using components from the companies around the edge. So, when Jo soap comes up to one of the companies and asks “how does this component work” not only will Jo soap get the benefit of expert advise but they can walk over to the Roadster and see how it works in-situ. Chris Gibbs is loitering to give reasons behind the design and to tease us with snip-its of int on the Single Seater, and Cost Coffee are set up to one side, sorry drifted of into the ‘wonderful world of Ginge’ again. You get the idea.

I can’t see this getting of the drawing board but it’s nice to dream.

Remember I am just a private individual with no financial links to anyone who loved the coming together of forum members at Exeter and is dreaming away at work!

Cheers Ginge

I was building but I am not now!

Build Pictures

Build Thread

Last edited by gingea1pom : 25th November 2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Spelling AGAIN!!