Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st June 2011, 11:58 PM

Default To self-build or to kit...?

Hi guys, just pondering the choice between going for a self-build or buying a kit....
I'm definitely in the mind of a 7-style car, for it suits both budget and style I'm after.

I've got the good old book by Mr Gibbs, and have been looking at the more reasonably priced (read cheap budget!) kits too, namely the GBS Zero (formerly RobinHood http://www.robinhoodsportscars.co.uk/Custom/index.cfm) and a few others.

Does anyone have any experience with GBS? Thing is, with the book and a self-build, I'd know exactly what needs doing before getting started (i.e. all of it!) but with kits, I'm not entirely sure how much is pre done, and how much needs buying, fitting etc.

Also been looking at Saturn Sports Cars' offering, thinking of the complete package (http://www.saturnsportscars.co.uk/st...d&productId=58) and wondering the same things (how much is pre done, and how much needs buying, fitting etc.).

Any pointers, or am I just having a tired ramble? :P
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:11 AM

You need a list of questions that you want to address and nab Andy from Saturn and give him a grilling .....chances are there will be no questions he cannot answer .....kit form or totally from scratch is a matter of preference on your part one way or another ......just do it
Old 22nd June 2011, 01:14 AM

And your abillities ...can you weld ? have the gear to do so ...all can be learned quickly but you then have the outlay of a decent welder/gas/wire grinding discs etc etc ...makes me think a pre fab would be easier/cheaper...less baw ache...BUT...then you have the man make fire moment when you look at all your pics and remember every last weld and joint that you did so well...getting the chassis rolling....then the engine firing...all help to do so can be found on this very knowledgable (spelling shite) forum .thats my favorite bit !!
Old 22nd June 2011, 04:38 AM

The other thing to consider is the time frame you expect to build it in.Much quicker to buy the kit and get straight into assembling it.
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Some people Slate GBS , Don't know why as the cars are good value may be something to with management history after the RH Sports Cars years. They have become more expensive over the years. You do tend to get almost everything you need in a GBS kit.

Tiger had a reasonable chassis pack offer last time I looked.

I bought a second hand chassis which has required reworking, when I do my next car it will probably be from a Saturn "Deal" .

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:11 PM

Well, I can't yet weld, but am willing to factor the time in to learn...

I like the look of the Saturn kit as it's so close to the book, but I'm in two minds - I love the idea of the complete self-build, but I also like the idea of the kit! :O too many choices!

Only thing with the saturn kit, I'm not keen on the narrow and tall looking rollbar, but I'm sure that can be specced differently.

Thing with GBS is recently their website has changed, and now it seems the only kit they offer is the basic version, which looks more expensive for what you get than Saturn's offering.

I'll continue my research, but cheers for the posts guys!
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acra View Post
Well, I can't yet weld, but am willing to factor the time in to learn...

I like the look of the Saturn kit as it's so close to the book, but I'm in two minds - I love the idea of the complete self-build, but I also like the idea of the kit! :O too many choices!

Only thing with the saturn kit, I'm not keen on the narrow and tall looking rollbar, but I'm sure that can be specced differently.

Thing with GBS is recently their website has changed, and now it seems the only kit they offer is the basic version, which looks more expensive for what you get than Saturn's offering.

I'll continue my research, but cheers for the posts guys!
Andys roll bar is only tall because he is so tall, at 6ft 7 a standard looking rollbar would probably be level with his head once he had a helmet on! he made it tall purely for safety

You can fit any shape rollbar you like at the end of the day, thats the beauty of the haynes, you build it exactly as you want it
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:17 PM

gbs mass produce kits that bolt together where as the roadster is more total self build or buy in parts with only one full kit supplier
almost two opersit ends of the kitcar market realy
best place to ask would be locostbuilders as people could be a bit bias in here
i would ask your self what experance/skills you have, what tooling you have and the quility of finished car and would you see the project trough.
the roadster isnt so cheap if you have to buy loads of tools a good welder and have to pay people to the bits you cant but is if you have loads of skills and can do almost everything youself
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

I could probably have built a Zero by now, and cheeper... And to be honest may have been happy. But it would have been my 3rd bigest purchase ever, two houses purchases trump it.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:25 PM

i would ask on locostbuilders
there are loads on there building zeros
the quality seems to have gone up ten fold under the new management
they also had good reviews in CKC lately
you could fone richard at gbs he will tell you more
The Haynes as already said is more of a self-build car than a kitcar