Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th January 2011, 07:50 PM

Default Suspension

Hi everyone, I've progressed well with my chassis and I thought I'd start looking around to source all of the bits I need for the suspension which will be my next step. Being a complete novice I'm having a bit of trouble working out what exactly I'll need for the suspension. I don't want to attempt making my own wishbones as they look quite complicated and sourcing the materials quite difficult / expensive so I thought I'd just buy those ready made. I'm considering one of the kits saturn do (http://www.saturnsportscars.co.uk/st...d&productId=85 including the bolts, maxi, and ball joints) and if I take this route is the only other item I have to get is the dampeners? (noticed that saturn also sell the protech ones). The book also talks about mushroom inserts and having the uprights from the sierra machined so is this something I need in addition to the "kit" from saturn?

Last edited by brainbug007 : 10th January 2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10th January 2011, 08:30 PM

You will need all the parts you listed mushrooms included, as you mentioned all available from saturn

The bottom ball joint hole on the sierra upright needs reaming to accept the maxi ball joint, im assuming this is what you mean by machining

You can do this with a hand reamer from axminster tools, the same reamer is also going around members of the forum via the post, once people have used it they post it on to the next person who needs it

With regards to dampers if you can afford it go for the protech ones, i dont think they perform any better having drove my own car on gaz shocks and someone elses on protech but the build quality looks much better on the protech
Old 10th January 2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Mark. So for the reaming, is this only done to the front upright that comes off the donor? I assume I wouldn't need the rear uprights as I'd get those in the kit? Couldn't see the mushrooms on saturn's site, maybe I'm just blind though :S
Old 10th January 2011, 09:15 PM

Rear brake hubs etc bolt on to the fabricated uprights and the driveshafts go through them aswell.
You will need the insert for the front suspension as this replaces the shocker in the sierra and also gives the correct geometery.

Hope this makes sense.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 11th January 2011, 06:24 PM

dont forget that youll also need polybushes, you cant go wrong with andy at saturn, he'll look after you.

nathan
Old 14th January 2011, 06:50 AM

Do I need a set of maxi ball joints and a set of drag links for the rear as well?
Old 14th January 2011, 09:08 AM

Nope, you don't need balljoints and drag links for the rear. They are only required as the front wheels rotate for steering. The rear wheels, being fixed, just need the upright, wishbones and bushes. Much simpler
Old 14th January 2011, 10:18 AM

Hello BB,

Must have missed this one earlier.

It's a shame you are down in Bristol as if you're are unsure you could call in and we will take you through the build, a running car and rolling chassis. Any queries though, you know where we are - contact details on the links below.

All the Best.....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 14th January 2011, 07:15 PM

Thanks guys all the help is greatly appreciated! I might take you up on that offer at some point Andy when I'm up that way. Would be great to see a completed and part built roadster, especially one that's had a zetec fitted as I'm still unsure about what chassis mods are required for that as I can't really understand how you can just move TR8 back a bit without moving everything underneath it as well?? :S Anyhow another quick question around the suspension, for the protech dampeners, I've seen mentions of springs with different weights (250/350 lbs) and do I need these as well or are these just the springs you see in the picture of the dampener and are included?? (ie do I need http://www.saturnsportscars.co.uk/st...d&productId=43 and http://www.saturnsportscars.co.uk/st...d&productId=44 )
Old 15th January 2011, 12:14 PM

Hi BB,

The springs need to be purchased separately to the dampers, the book does recommend 200lb springs on the rear, this does make the rear quite soft, but after upgrading to 250lb the car is a lot better balanced and more planted on the rear. Which is why we sell 250 and 350 springs. Also, for some reason, we cant get the 200lb springs for the same price and will cost a bit more to supply.

Regards.....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH