Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th July 2009, 12:18 AM

Default Been tempted by the dark side.

Hiya folks i'm kinda looking for a little advice.

My original plan for getting into a kitcar was to build a 'book special roadster' but after a trip to the newark show with a mate with an MK indy, and meeting up with all the robin hood boys, i was kinda swaying toward one of there zero kits.
But dont worry, i'm leaning back to a roadster again (dont like the shape of the zero froint wishbones)

Anywho, my main question is. What are peoples thoughts on stainless seamless tube for the wishbones?
I've been looking at the armoto jig blocks, and where i work i do a fair bit of stainless and alu TIGing and we have a fair few 'proper' welders.
I know its obviously more brittle than mild but i'm wondering A) if there is a grade that will be a little more flexible without rusting. B) what sort of stresses the wishbone are actually subjected to. ie how over enginered are they?

Any idea, views, insights, sujestions, pointers etc much apprieciated.

Cheers
Chris.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

if you have a smash you want the wishbone to bend not the chassis. stainless is also more likely to fatigue and fail due to its hardness.

if I wanted shiny wishbones i would make them in mild steel and get them electro plated.

personally i wouldnt touch the zero kit. there are a lot of aspects to its design and construction that i dont like. the advantage with the haynes is that it was designed by martin kenan (MK) and chris gibbs. and if there is anything i dont like about the design i can change it during the build.

if i was to buy a 7 style kit it would be an indy R closely followed by an mnr vortex rt.

if you would like me to go into the bits i dont like about the zero then just ask.
Old 17th July 2009, 10:29 AM

have to agree with Ash. I'm a stainless steel fabricator and know how tempting it can be especially with it being so handy my advice would be not with a barg pole
Old 17th July 2009, 05:40 PM

Yeah i kinda thought that would be the response, as you say kiwi, we have racks of the stuff at work and they dont mind off cuts 'dissapearing' he he.

Shall have to find a local chromer then.

Am i right in thinking that Martin Kenan is the man behind MK sportscars?

Ash, Yeah there where a few things i fancied changing on the zero kit if i got one. It deffinatly wouldn't have just been a 'start bolting panels on' kinda thing. Might i ask what caught your eye on the kit?

Cheers
Chris
Old 17th July 2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post

Am i right in thinking that Martin Kenan is the man behind MK sportscars?
He designed and made the Indy, then sold? the company to his brother. He is now the man behind MK Engineering
Old 17th July 2009, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

things i didnt like about the zero

Rear lower wishbones are of a ladder design with no triangulation. poor balljoint fixing on front lower wishbones. mixture of rhs and tube on the main frame, looks like a cost cutting exercise as it doesnt add any strength. wheel arches and nose cone fg from what i have seen at the shows is half the thickness of other peoples.

then to finish off all the lights and fixtures and fittings are or look like cheep out dated tat.

at the end of the day you get what you pay for. you can buy a zero build it and drive it for very little money but something has to give to do it soo cheeply

my real gripe is i cant see why some of the bits on it are done so poorly when it wouldnt cost any more to do it properly. specific example being the rear lower wishbones.
Old 18th July 2009, 12:33 AM

Ah i'm not the only one then, theres something about the look of the front wishbones that just doesn't look right to me aswell, i suppose something to do with the main force being carried through a single tube in compression/tension.

Hmm, gonna have to shift my last couple of projects and get on with this i reckon.

Might have to give the tintop an overhaul first though.
Some much to do so little time.

Chris