Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th November 2008, 08:44 PM

Default Bike engine car electrics

Is it better to adapt to loom of the bike for the car, or is it better to mate the car loom with the bike engine??
Are there issues come sva time when the headlight stays on while the engine is running on a bike??
Many thanks Jas Gray
Old 27th November 2008, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

put the bike loom on the car much much more simple and looks cool with the bike switch gear in the dash
Old 30th November 2008, 09:45 AM

[quote]Are there issues come sva time when the headlight stays on while the engine is running on a bike??/QUOTE]

I hope your lights do stay on while the engine is going otherwise it could be a scary drive home in the dark.

Bike engine loom for the engine and car loom or make your own for the switch gear/ lights etc.
Old 7th January 2009, 08:50 PM

I personally would use the bikes entire loom and adapt it where needed, i.e extend and modify the length accordingly for the various circuits, The lights staying on with engine running as per modern bikes can be overcome easily, usually there is a separate live feed or a switched earth which is fed to the dip beam relay, different bikes use different systems but all similar, best to study the current flow diagram for the particular loom your using and disconnect the feed accordingly, a little electrical knowledge is helpfull but i`m sure a google search for the relevant info on that particular loom would throw a few hits if unsure.

Chris.
Old 7th January 2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus446 View Post
I personally would use the bikes entire loom and adapt it where needed, i.e extend and modify the length accordingly for the various circuits, The lights staying on with engine running as per modern bikes can be overcome easily, usually there is a separate live feed or a switched earth which is fed to the dip beam relay, different bikes use different systems but all similar, best to study the current flow diagram for the particular loom your using and disconnect the feed accordingly, a little electrical knowledge is helpfull but i`m sure a google search for the relevant info on that particular loom would throw a few hits if unsure.

Chris.
Cheers Chris!! Most helpful mate, my next question is, is it worth buying a complete bike, using what you need off of it and breaking the rest as spares??
Old 8th January 2009, 12:45 AM

Definatly buy the entire bike if possible, there will be many parts you may need if its your first time fitting a bike engine, bare this in mind if buying components individually, items that could be overlooked are the ECU and fuse/relay box, (should come with the loom but may not?) fuel pump and all fittings for location to new tank, switchgear could be usefull for adapting straight to dash or to new switches, all sensors relating to the engine such as possible ambient temp sensors which may be located remotely,dash clocks could be adapted to use as is and could be recalibrated to suit drivetrain used, exhaust and silencer as these can be expensive to buy if bought separate, another component essential on bike engines is the air intake system or Ram Air if fitted as if this is not present the ECU may need to be remapped with a power commander or similar product.

Just for example, there was a accident damaged ZX10 on Ebay recently, I enquired and could have the entire bike for £800 if I had it that week, thats a 186bhp next generation power unit for realistic money!

Its horses for courses really, plus if you buy the whole bike there will be a few parts that could be sold on if undamaged to recover some of the cost.

Chris.
Old 10th January 2009, 10:20 PM

When adapting bike looms be aware that some/most bikes have a switch which stops you starting the bike with the bike stand down, this needs bypassing.
Also you can't start a bike unless its in neutral, this can also be bypassed.