Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th November 2014, 04:11 PM

Default Windscreen, roll cage and weather gear

Has anyone done all of the following windscreen, roll cage and weather gear? Been thinking about trying to accomplish all of the above and be able to fit a half hood style cover in case of emergencies.

Something like this
Old 8th November 2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzter View Post
Has anyone done all of the following windscreen, roll cage and weather gear? Been thinking about trying to accomplish all of the above and be able to fit a half hood style cover in case of emergencies.

Something like this
I have the windscreen and wipers etc and I have enough material to make one of those half hoods if I ever get around to it.

Cheers
Stot

Last edited by Stot : 8th November 2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 15th November 2014, 10:11 AM

if you have a scuttle like fabby/saturn/nts you will find the profile of angled sides screw up fitting a screen because the flat top is too short to give you an effective screen width and still be able to make a proper frame (also fit doors).
im having to make an infill bit for each corner of mine

my other option was to build a front roll hoop and have a screen made to mount into it.

it turns out getting the glass is the easy bit you try finding real screen frame extruded alloy! and the proper rubber seals for it.
Old 15th November 2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stot View Post
I have the windscreen and wipers etc and I have enough material to make one of those half hoods if I ever get around to it.

Cheers
Stot
Stot, did you make the windscreen yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
if you have a scuttle like fabby/saturn/nts you will find the profile of angled sides screw up fitting a screen because the flat top is too short to give you an effective screen width and still be able to make a proper frame (also fit doors).
im having to make an infill bit for each corner of mine

my other option was to build a front roll hoop and have a screen made to mount into it.

it turns out getting the glass is the easy bit you try finding real screen frame extruded alloy! and the proper rubber seals for it.
Do you mean the corners where the scuttle goes from the horizontal flat down to the sides of the car? Is it possible to get glass cut to fit the profile?

Guess I'm getting a bit ahead of my self anyway, this would be something to do post IVA, I am keen to get some additional roll over protection in place over the standard roll bar though.
Old 15th November 2014, 09:46 PM

Yes I made the windscreen frame and had glass cut to fit it. On my build thread here.

The frame extrusions I got from a company who funnily enough make the Caterham and Ariel Atom chassis etc. Found out about them here.

A proper glass place can cut the glass to the curve required at the bottom. Mine was cut and ground for £35 (not marked post IVA).

Cheers
Stot