Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th June 2011, 03:50 PM

its a doofer that allows devices to comunicate to each other without a "host" computer....if i remember back to my college Mechatronics course !!
Old 12th June 2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Thought about changing my clocks too but sort of stopped when I realised you needed warning about break fluid, engine temp, oil pressure, and the ecu has a speed sensor which is in the clocks from the manual speedo I think. How do you get round all that!
Yeah, the Mk1 speedo is driven by a cable, and the speed pulse for the ECU is generated in the clocks.
Not a huge problem though as you can replace the cable with a Mk2 vehicle speed sensor.
The fluid level sensor is just a switch in parrallel with the handbrake switch, so that's easy enough.
I' not sure what you could do about oil pressure and engine temp. If you're lucky the levels might be compatible with aftermarket gauges. I plan to monitor them and light up one of the lamps in my cluster if they go out of normal operating range (or hopefully display their values on the cluster LCD if I can work out how to talk to it).
Old 12th June 2011, 04:08 PM

Modern cars use a network interface to talk to different parts of the cars computer controlled system. I'm sure skov has a better explanation!

edit:

So if you can fiddle the clocks you maybe able to get the warnings from it, like for handbrake, fluid, oil, temp etc?

Last edited by CTWV50 : 12th June 2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12th June 2011, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

CAN "Controler Area Network"

Is a way to simplify wiring.

If you think of it in it's most most basic terms, imagine the sierra wiring with tones of wires all over the place goign to lights, door locks, clox, engine management, stereo, etc..

Now..

replace that with 3 wires. Data send, Data receive, +12V .. Add a localized ground and all your big wire bundles disapear.

You have lots of intelligent localized controllers that listen for signals relating to them. They then process the signal and do what they are required with much shorter local wiring.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 12th June 2011, 05:21 PM

Yep what he said

I'd been struggling to think of how to explain it simply!
Old 14th June 2011, 09:10 PM

I replaced the liner in my welder this evening after it got completely blocked last week. What a difference it's made!
It had always had a slightly erratic wire feed, but now it's silky smooth and making it loads easier to get decent welds
I'm just kicking myself for not doing it 6 months ago!
Old 16th June 2011, 01:01 PM

Just ordered a teflon one off the bay, think mines ok for now but when I change the weld wire real I'll fit the new one see what happens. How are the clocks coimng along, could be interested in running these myself with your help.
Old 16th June 2011, 01:53 PM

It's well worth changing. Only problem is I need to figure out all my wire speed settings again as it feeds the wire quicker for a given number on the dial now

I think I read somewhere that teflon liners for for aluminium wire, and will wear out very quickly with steel. I could of imagined that though.

Haven't got too much further with the clocks yet. I've figured out how to control everything I need to on the cluster (speed, rpm, and all the warning lights), but I can only make the two LCDs display random cr&p at the moment.
I've made a start sketching out a design for the cluster interface box, but I'm a bit undecided on how complicated to make it, and whether to incorporate some other features.
If I can get it all working nicely I'm sure I could be convinced to make two of them

Last edited by skov : 16th June 2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 16th June 2011, 02:55 PM

Ahh bugger I've contacted the ebayer apparently they have said it is good for mild steel but I'd prefer to play it safe.

Yeah those clocks look more inkeeping with the car than the mazda items which will be a little awkward to mount and still be within IVA standards and viewable. I take it the vehicle speed will come from the mk2 speed sender and go both to the box of tricks and the ecu?

I guess the LCD is for the tachometer, I think you have to have one of them for road legality don't you?

Last edited by CTWV50 : 16th June 2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 16th June 2011, 04:14 PM

My thoughts exactly on the MX5 clocks. I like them in the 5, but I think they'd look a bit gash in the roadster, and would be a pain the proverbial to fit!

I was going to use individual after-market gauges and warning lights, and was browsing ebay for some when I saw the mini clocks.
It would have been easier taking that route, but I like a challenge, and it gives me an excuse to design some electrickery

That's right about the Mk2 speed sensor. Although it doesn't appear to go into the ECU on my wiring diagram, maybe they only did that for later models?

Do you mean 'odometer' on the LCD? I'm not sure if you need one or not to be honest I can't remember seeing anything about it in the IVA manual.
I do want one though, and I'm pretty sure I can get it displayed on the LCD with a bit of work.