Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th November 2011, 12:09 AM

Default Suspension Jigs - Help?

Hi All,

I finally have my chassis tacked to the point where I can add the front suspension / shock brackets. I have made the jigs several times but am just not happy with them.

Does anyone have any jigs they could loan me for the task. I am based just outside Southampton.

Kindest regards,

Martyn
Old 26th November 2011, 08:49 PM

Default Help!

Hi all,

Sorry to be a pain but am really struggling with this bit. Dont suppose anyone has a set of front suspension jigs they could loan me to get me out of the mire?

Thanks in advance,

Martyn
Old 1st December 2011, 04:40 PM

Hi

I have some you could loan but your a bit far away!
Old 1st December 2011, 11:01 PM

I would be happy to lend you mine, as I'm quite happy with it, but I'm in Sweden, so a bit too far away for you to pick it up !
I think there are almost as many different kinds of suspension jigs as there are builders. The one of the book is not the simplest, and people invented other solutions, and made it in different ways, and mine is of course not the only and best one (especially I think that making it from wood might be easier than from steel plates, as I did, as steel plates might be too flexible.) But here is the link to the thread of my blog about how I built it, with drawings, dimensions and so on. So if it can give you inspiration to build one you will be happy with, why not ?
http://vouchtroadster.blogspot.com/2...ation-des.html
and also the end of this thread :
http://vouchtroadster.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
... as my blog is not up to date, I don't have anything yet about placing the suspension brackets. But most of the important things are in these 2 threads.
Good luck anyway
Bye.
Sylvain

Last edited by voucht : 1st December 2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:09 AM

http://bamaroadster.blogspot.com/201...design_15.html

Have a look at mine. Its simple to make and works well and hard to get wrong.
I have amended it slightly since the drawings but the only change was to add a couple of angles on the front inside to allow it to sit on the table. And i cut out where the front frame welds are to allow the jig to sit flush on the bottom steel.

Any questions just ask

Andy
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voucht View Post
I would be happy to lend you mine, as I'm quite happy with it, but I'm in Sweden, so a bit too far away for you to pick it up !
I think there are almost as many different kinds of suspension jigs as there are builders. The one of the book is not the simplest, and people invented other solutions, and made it in different ways, and mine is of course not the only and best one (especially I think that making it from wood might be easier than from steel plates, as I did, as steel plates might be too flexible.) But here is the link to the thread of my blog about how I built it, with drawings, dimensions and so on. So if it can give you inspiration to build one you will be happy with, why not ?
http://vouchtroadster.blogspot.com/2...ation-des.html
and also the end of this thread :
http://vouchtroadster.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
... as my blog is not up to date, I don't have anything yet about placing the suspension brackets. But most of the important things are in these 2 threads.
Good luck anyway
Bye.
Sylvain
Thanks all for the replies guys.

Syl, your jigs look a lot more robust than the book's, so I will give it a go. Im not unhappy with my top bracket jig, so I will modify this with your dims to add both bits as I have some extra studding and nuts.

Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks very much for your help.

Martyn
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysredmini View Post
http://bamaroadster.blogspot.com/201...design_15.html

Have a look at mine. Its simple to make and works well and hard to get wrong.
I have amended it slightly since the drawings but the only change was to add a couple of angles on the front inside to allow it to sit on the table. And i cut out where the front frame welds are to allow the jig to sit flush on the bottom steel.

Any questions just ask

Andy
Hi Andy,

I like the cad drawings in your link that you are putting together, if you don't mind me asking which software are you using for these? I've just got Google Sketchup for the single seater, it's not the best but all the others are too expensive just for me AND do you fancy doing mine for me........

Only Jesting for the last bit........AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:41 AM

Im using Autodesk Inventor 2012
I have been using it for about a year now and getting on pretty well with it.
I started drawing the complete chassis a while back and am adding to it slowly when time allows.
One of the best things about it is the ease in which you can create parts like that jig that on paper cant be wrong. you simply constrain your suspension brackets onto the chassis to the book dimensions then project the geometry onto the jig and the holes etc are in the correct position.

If there are any bits you need cadding up just let me know. we could do a trade for a bit of wishbone tube here and there!

Andy
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:40 PM

AndyH

I have just posted 2 new entries to my blog that you may be interested in.

Andy

PS. Sorry for hijacking your thread Martyn
Old 2nd December 2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysredmini View Post
AndyH

I have just posted 2 new entries to my blog that you may be interested in.

Andy

PS. Sorry for hijacking your thread Martyn
It's an excellent bit of software Andy, i did use the trial version for a while till the time restriction ran out but it's just the cost that's way out of my price range. I've redone the chassis in Sketchup so will have to take the rest of the illustrations off that but would like some proper CAD software in the future. Thanks for the offer to Andy

Also looks like we are about to get our first fostering placement in a couple of weeks so really chuffed with that.

Have a good day.........AndyH

Regards..........AndyH