Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th April 2012, 01:12 PM

If thats the case then the sooner someone knocks up a torque control arm that replicates the job of the mx5 jobby the better. Me thinks.

bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 8th June 2012, 07:27 PM

Hi,
I know this subject has been a sore point for many but there are quite a few MX5 builders now on the forum and Iv'e been looking at Keith Tanners build of the Locost with MX5 donor, quite interesting.
I guess many of you have already viewed it (1439 entries,,,pheww ) but I found it very interesting.
Originally he had a rubber mounted bracket from the front top of the diff to the chassis rail on the transmission tunnel. This after some time failed,

Here's the failure

He then decided to make a small frame bolted to the front of the diff top and bottom and solidly mount it to a plate welded in the tranny tunnel,

It was bolted to the thick plate towards the rear of the tunnel with three bolts with captive nuts welded to the diff bracket.
He used the car for track days and after a few years decided to change the diff.

This is what he said,

"August 1, 2008: Since it's out, here's a shot of my PPF substitute."

"I don't think I ever took a good picture of it before. This bolts on to the front of the diff, and then three bolts are run through the side of the transmission tunnel. Everything was still nice and tight when I removed it and it's undergone a fair bit of abuse in the last few years - so I think it's fair to call this little bracket a success.

Less successful was the fact that I managed to pull the driveshaft out of the transmission while removing the diff. I'm not sure I have access to that without pulling the interior transmission panels - I hope I don't have to do that!"

Hope this may be of some help to some people.

Johno