Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd October 2013, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

hey dave i am flying out to ga friday did you want me to bring you a copy of my magazine articles?

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:20 PM

Yeah if you've got the time and be around Atlanta, your welcome to come on by. Shoot me a PM on what your schedule looks like and we can set something up.
Old 4th October 2013, 01:24 AM

Good progress this week.

Got the drive shaft shortened, balanced, installed.

Started and finished the fuel system.

Used a walbro 255 fuel pump, made a bunch of AN lines and fittings and adapters to connect it all together. Ran a pair of 3/8" aluminum racing hard lines to the front and connected them via some fuel injection line. My only concern at this point is the fuel filter, I'm currently using a small russell filter. I'll probably use another in front of the pump to filter the initial garbage from the fuel cell. But that can be dealt with later, as I'm tired of spending money on AN fittings, That stuff really added up quickly, but I'm very happy with how professional looking it all turned out.

Old 4th October 2013, 09:56 AM

Cracking progress really tidy looking build

Arfon
Old 6th October 2013, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

I'm over in Atlanta for work so went to see Dave today, what a nice guy. Had a good long chat about building cars and the differences between the UK and US he then drove me to his favourite burger bar where he insisted on buying me lunch. This forum really has no boundaries, im thousads of miles from home and stunned by the hospitality and friendlyness of fellow builders.

Oh and the most important bit! His build is absolutly stunning. The attention to detail is fantastic, even better than the pictures hes put on the forum. His car is going to be very special when its finished, the bar has officially been raised! time to step it up a notch guys!

My Pictures
Old 12th October 2013, 05:10 AM

Week of October 11 Update

This week I finished assembling the pedal box with the appropriate fittings, and hydraulic brake light switch.

I ran the hard lines for the front brakes and fabricated the bracket and clevis to allow me to connect the mx5 throttle cable to the wilwood pedal box. When all said and done I'm very happy with how it turned out. It was a little tricky figuring out how the throttle cable needed to be routed in order to work with the wilwood throttle bracket (there are not many examples online of one of these pedal boxes installed and certainly nothing specific to the mx5). In the end I came from above, so that when the pedal is pressed its pulling the cable towards the floor.

Finally I placed a few orders for bodywork and brakes. On the bodywork side, I 've got my scuttle and rear fenders from equinox via kitcardirect.co.uk. I've also got a 7 style front grill and a westfield carbon fiber dash that should be shipping out soon. I stumbled upon a company in the states here that sells a set of carbon fiber sport bike mirrors for $80US. Quality is pretty good, although I'm going to 3d print out a set of trim rings to obscure the poor cut of the mirror itself. I'll post some before and after shots when I get that done.

On the braking side my original plan was to get a set of wilwood 4 piston calipers for the front and stick with the mx5 calipers in the rear. Well after needing a new set of rear rotors, rear pads and a replacement caliper, I came to the conclusion that I was approaching the price territory of a 4 wheel brake kit. So with that said, I now have a package on the way containing wilwood calipers for front and rear with slotted rotors, pads and just about everything else.

Here's this weeks pictures, sorry about the quality, shooting black on black at night isnt the best way to reveal whats going on.

Old 13th October 2013, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Good work going on, whish it would spur me on a bit..

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 14th October 2013, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

I had three of those in line pressure brake switches fail on my car before I gave up and fitted a micro switch on the pedal. Has been flawless ever since.

My Pictures
Old 14th October 2013, 12:04 PM

Ash, are you sure the pressure switch was plumbed into the rear brake circuit? Initially I had it on one of the front lines, and it was wonky, it would not switch off immediately after the pedal was released. But when I moved it to the rear line, all problems disappeared. The book also mentions in passing that the pressure switch should be on the rear line.
Old 14th October 2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
I had three of those in line pressure brake switches fail on my car before I gave up and fitted a micro switch on the pedal. Has been flawless ever since.
Yeah this is more of a short term solution. Its by far the easiest option off the bat especially with these pedals. I'd rather build the brake system to allow for this versus having to modify it later. Now its just a matter of plugging off the tee or adding a brake pressure sensor that feeds data to the dash. In the mean time I can try and think up a solution to a micro switch without being held back by the brakes.

Did you pick up a set of the pedals?