Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th November 2014, 08:37 PM

Default hi.....

hi everyone, i am not a stranger to other related kit car forums but i am modifying both of my cars and am looking to replace the engines with Zetec's and know you all have more experience of that than me, so i will be asking the odd question. if you dont mind.....
I do have a fair bit of experience with electrics and rewiring kit cars, i dont know how that will help but it occurs to me anyone who builds a car like the haynes roadster might like to do their own wiring rather than trying to cobble an unsatisfactory loom from a donor car.
the names Dave if you prefer not to use the forum handle.
Old 17th November 2014, 08:44 PM

p.s. i am aware that the MX5 is a preferred engine choice (might be in one of my cars soon)
but i have a scrap mondeo and the engine is a nice running motor, i also have several ford gearbox's.......so it make sense to me.
Old 21st November 2014, 02:59 AM

I used a Zetec from a 1993 Mondeo. The engine loom is separate and connects to the body loom with 3 oval 12-point plugs. The engine loom is pretty self-sufficient, you can just connect the power, feed the fuel pump and try starting the engine. That said, if you use the Mondeo engine loom, the ECU ends up somewhere near the radiator. So I unloomed it and changed the layout.

I traced all the wires in the loom to the ECU, here's the result:
http://fridge.pov.lt/~alga/zetec/Mondeo-ECU-pinout.pdf

The subloom at the injectors, TPS, CAM was badly weathered, so I rebuilt it. Getting the terminal pins for the plugs was not easy. I found them at Würth, already crimped to pieces of wire ready for soldering.
Old 21st November 2014, 08:50 AM

Hi Dave,

Do you know if you're planning on going for the standard mondeo injection and ECU or are you thinking of going for bike carbs and aftermarket ECU such as Megajolt?

I've just wired up my 1.8 Zetec from a 1993 mondeo (silvertop engine) with ZX6R carbs and Megajolt ECU, so if you decide to go this route I can try and answer any questions you have.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting