Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st March 2010, 08:11 AM

It can be done Captain, I bought the book after passing WHSmiths on the May bank holiday weekend in 2008. Start building from scratch mid May 2008 and car was on the road end of Jan 2009. 7 months build....

Then i am the type of person that once i start something i just cannot stop till its done.

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 21st March 2010, 09:49 PM

I'm the same spud, won't settle till it's finished. Anyway, change of heart. I've slept on it, and the new reg doesn't make too much sense, I reckon it's going to go from a £5k build to a £8-£9k build, and there's just no point. I'd much rather have a nice car with a few nice extras on than a bottom of the range 10 plate.
I'm gonna take the initial advice I was given by you guys at saturn. Install a CVH engine from donor, then if it unfortunately meets a sad demise after a couple of months I'll fit a zetec.
Also changed my mind about throttle bodies/ECU. I reckon I can bag a new engine with megajolt and bike carbs producing 170bhp for about £1200. Or I can have a new engine with fuel injection producing 170bhp for about £2700. Ermmmmm, let me think!!!
Old 21st March 2010, 10:02 PM

Hi CC,

always worth "sleeping on it"

As you say , when the CVH goes "pop" then is the time for a new Zetec etc, as we discussed on your visit, when you use the CVH intially, you have lots of parts that then get put onto the Zetec making it an easy transplant ( medical term sorry couldn,t help myself )

As you,ve been for a spin in Spuds car, you know what the 170bhp feels like

good luck in your hunt for the right donor.

cheers
andy
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:31 AM

If you want a new plate just get it registered here on a Q plate, find a mate in Ireland willing to help you out, sell it to him , he registers it in Ireland gets a 2010 plate, sells it back to you, you register it here on a new plate. Fin