Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th April 2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnl63 View Post
hmm like many things on your car I might steel that too
john
Copy anything mate. Mind is.actually quite 'raw' inperson. I like the fact it appears more 'original' used finish.. Not a perfect finish. I really think that's what these things are about but thats just me.

My best advise would be make it unique but you as much as possible. I went KAR 120 but made it my version I hope.

Cheers
Stot
Old 17th April 2017, 09:50 PM

cheers Stot, my haynes to an unexpected twist when I built something else, a NZ chevron 7. now it is suffering from refinements to keep me in the shed.

http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3465

john
Old 10th October 2017, 08:37 PM

Stot - sorry to jump you back in time - but can you provide any info about how you went about trimming and securing your Equinox bodywork? I'm having similar fitting problems to Voucht - so am going to pinch trimming solutions from him - but wondered what fixings you used/what spacings between them for side panels, scuttle and nosecone?
Old 11th October 2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
Stot - sorry to jump you back in time - but can you provide any info about how you went about trimming and securing your Equinox bodywork? I'm having similar fitting problems to Voucht - so am going to pinch trimming solutions from him - but wondered what fixings you used/what spacings between them for side panels, scuttle and nosecone?
Sorry to jump in here but I assume the side panels are what you are having an issue with - on mine they were ground a little to fit (very tight indeed) and then I used one of those polywotsit glues like Tiger seal or Sikaflex to glue them into place. In order to hold them in place I use a few pop rivets but none where they would show after the car was on the road. Impossible to get off and they haven't moved after over a year on the road
Old 11th October 2017, 11:26 AM

Instead of Tiger Seal I used this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Bond-...XAWAP1TTGYR06X which (having used this and Tiger Seal) works just as effectively and sticks like s**t to a blanket and, is cheaper, 4 for £15.
Old 11th October 2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianr View Post
Sorry to jump in here but I assume the side panels are what you are having an issue with - on mine they were ground a little to fit (very tight indeed) and then I used one of those polywotsit glues like Tiger seal or Sikaflex to glue them into place. In order to hold them in place I use a few pop rivets but none where they would show after the car was on the road. Impossible to get off and they haven't moved after over a year on the road
No need to apologise - it's what the forum is for! Bascially yes - I don't know how many rivets to use or where to place them -or even if I can just use Sikaflex, clamp it all in place for a week and then it won't go anywhere. So i'm looking for as many example of what others have done.

Trouble is - one mans 'oh, not many rivets' is another mans "I 'only' put a rivet every 75mm"!!!!!
Old 12th October 2017, 09:30 AM

Ok - I used no rivets in the cockpit area at all just clamps, under the scuttle to the very front of the car I spaced pop rivets about every 6" but these are hidden by draught excluder (from Lidl) which stops the bonnet chattering. The underside of the car has rivets at about 8" spacing and is not visible unless you can get underneath. HTH
I should add that all the metal surfaces were given a coat of polywotsit even the triangulation pieces + no vibration noises
Old 20th January 2018, 06:41 AM

Jesus Stot you are immensely creative and you've given me some more ideas of my own. Does anyone manufacture clam shell wings still as I want some now
Old 20th January 2018, 11:19 AM

Hi!
Equinox still manufactures clam shell front wings. Last item of this page:
http://equinoxproducts.co.uk/product...ynes/roadster/

I have a full bodywork from them on my Roadster, and the quality of their work is excellent.

Now, as it looks like you are aiming for a powerful Roadster, I guess you are looking for high performance, so be aware that clam shell wings are awful when it comes to aerodynamics. They are just acting like 2 big parachutes, and will add to the already bad aerodynamics of the car (like all "seven-like" cars, aerodynamics is not the best feature of our Roadsters).

And I'm not even talking about fuel consumption...

But they do look good and no problem on low/mid performance road cars in my humble opinion.

Hope that will help
Old 21st January 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattStepney View Post
Jesus Stot you are immensely creative and you've given me some more ideas of my own. Does anyone manufacture clam shell wings still as I want some now

I have a pair of unused BRG clamshell wings made by Tiger if you want them. Scruffy from being stored but cheap :-)