Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th February 2010, 07:24 PM

Hi Sammy

I don't think there is any major problem with the suspension mounting brackets.

Some people have had to pack the brackets out a little ..... This seems to average about 3mm for most.

I can,t really comment accurately on other builds but on my own, here's what I found :

I took great care to make the chassis as close to the book spec as humanly possible.

When I made the front suspension bracket mounting jigs, the measurements were checked & double checked for accuracy.

The brackets were clamped in my jigs & put into place .... The rear most brackets were sitting nice & snug as they should .... The brackets on the front frame had a gap, aproximately 3mm on the front lower & slightly less on the front upper.

I studied the problem for a while and could possibly see where the missing mm's went.
Possibly during construction of the front frame .... The intersection points of the front frame sides in relation to the bottom section .... I believe if I had made the front frame correctly/differently, I would of had no gap at all

I would love to do a drawing to explain but I am a complete moron when it comes to cad software

With a little luck, I have made some sense !!??

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 17th February 2010, 08:22 PM

Red face Rough sketch

Here is a very rough sketch of what I mean

On the left is the intersection point of the front frame as I made it

On the right is the way I could have made the front frame.
The slightly different angles & increased width of the lower front frame section would have closed the gap that I had to pack out

I must state at this point .... This is only my own personal observation & will be the way I make my next front frame.

Perhaps I may be completely barking up the wrong tree but it would have been the ideal solution to my particular problem & provided a near perfect fit for my suspension brackets

When I said rough sketch .... I meant it

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 17th February 2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: To correct text
Old 17th February 2010, 09:23 PM

thanks alot for clearing that up for me Ronnie, i realy apresiate it & the drawing did help alot . i think i saw this problem when i was making my front fram( for the third time) & hopefully the corection i made which is simmular to what you did in the drawing will help & if i understand corectly the gap you´re talking about would be on the inside so the bracket is touching the rail on the outside corner(in the front) & then there would be a small gap towards the back, i think .maybe i´ll take some photos & post them here to try to show what i mean.
thanks for all the help
samy
Old 18th February 2010, 09:12 AM

I actually cut my front frame while it was still tacked on and remade it on a jig with "brackets" mocked up.

http://locost.lt/download/file.php?id=53

In the end it did not help. Probably due to the height of brackets being 1-2 mm out of spec. My jig was just two pieces of MDF with carefully measured and drilled holes. Worked quite well:

http://locost.lt/download/file.php?id=138
Old 21st February 2010, 08:53 PM

Default front suspension setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by alga View Post
I actually cut my front frame while it was still tacked on and remade it on a jig with "brackets" mocked up.

http://locost.lt/download/file.php?id=53

In the end it did not help. Probably due to the height of brackets being 1-2 mm out of spec. My jig was just two pieces of MDF with carefully measured and drilled holes. Worked quite well:

http://locost.lt/download/file.php?id=138
Hi I have come to fitting the front brackets and was wondering is it ok that 6 of brackets have to packed out 3mm each. I have checked my measurements a 100 times and they seemed spot on. Just need reasurance before I tack them up

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/DSCF2990.jpg

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/DSCF2995.jpg
Old 21st February 2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin62 View Post
Hi I have come to fitting the front brackets and was wondering is it ok that 6 of brackets have to packed out 3mm each. I have checked my measurements a 100 times and they seemed spot on. Just need reasurance before I tack them up
I can't see that there would be a problem with that as long as your jig is correct

IVA passed 20 June 2017
Flickr Album