Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th May 2009, 04:53 PM

i have jsut spread the cost i startd my build when i was 18 at college so its taken a long time but i have been abale to spread the cost over the years and now i have a lot of the parts.

but i have built with out a donor because of lack of space so it has run the cost up but you do what you have to do to. and spend wat you have to.
Old 20th May 2009, 07:03 PM

Right after reading a fair few posts on the forum today i've decided to scrap the dirt buggy idea and instead put the money towards starting the car, im going to wait until i have atleast £500 saved up before i start, meaning i should be able to build the chassis, buy a donar and some other parts. Then as the year progresses ill put more money into the build. Im setting myself a budget of £2000 for the complete build.

I just need my Haynes build manual to arrive now and then i get sorted writing a plan and organising everything.
Old 20th May 2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
Right after reading a fair few posts on the forum today i've decided to scrap the dirt buggy idea and instead put the money towards starting the car, im going to wait until i have atleast £500 saved up before i start, meaning i should be able to build the chassis, buy a donar and some other parts. Then as the year progresses ill put more money into the build. Im setting myself a budget of £2000 for the complete build.

I just need my Haynes build manual to arrive now and then i get sorted writing a plan and organising everything.
Sounds a plan!

Ive got a budget for mine based upon listing every single part ill need right down to things like screws for the jig table and estimated petrol costs. All of it is really projected/estimated costs based on research. I tend to up date it week to week with what things have cost me that week. I also keep an actual spending log too.

Ive spent a fair bit so far and not really done a huge amount. Spent roughly £285 so far and thats gone on a shed, slabs, sharp sand, chipboard, and screws. Ive only just finished the jig table not half an hour ago. Picked up my steel this afternoon. What a job that was cutting it from 6m lengths to 2m lengths in the steel stockist yard so itll all fit in the car lol. Hope to get it all cut this week/weekend ready for welding next week.
Old 20th May 2009, 08:27 PM

Thats the kind of organisation im looking to have. Although i've already got a garage to build it in, i just need to convince my dad that he doesnt need to use it for the next year or 2 lol.

I've got a few months before i'll have bought the required tools and have saved up £500, so plenty of time to write a detailed plan of everything im going to spend. I've literally just bought a used black and decker corded drill for £21 from ebay, i just need to buy a gasless mig and pillar drill, that will be another £150. I've already got an arc welder so the thick metal that the gasless mig wont be able to weld properly with my skills i can just get out my arc welder. Then i should have the required tools.
Old 20th May 2009, 08:42 PM

got a couple of quotes at stonligh for when i finish my car

21 years old
1100cc honda blackbrid 165BHP

adrian flux
5000 miles £1600
3000 miles £850
1500 miles £700

Footman James

6000 miles £900
3000 miles £700
1500 miles £350

Age 21, no no clames but 2 years clame free on company car, no convictions

PS dreem on about £2000 budget iv spent over 4000 and am only just about to get a rolling chassis granted my engine cost me £1200 and i do have the shocks
and seats and stuff in the 4K

Tilly

Last edited by Tilly819 : 20th May 2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 20th May 2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Thats the kind of organisation im looking to have. Although i've already got a garage to build it in, i just need to convince my dad that he doesnt need to use it for the next year or 2 lol.

I've got a few months before i'll have bought the required tools and have saved up £500, so plenty of time to write a detailed plan of everything im going to spend. I've literally just bought a used black and decker corded drill for £21 from ebay, i just need to buy a gasless mig and pillar drill, that will be another £150. I've already got an arc welder so the thick metal that the gasless mig wont be able to weld properly with my skills i can just get out my arc welder. Then i should have the required tools.
Yep ive got an arc welder too and most tools ill need for the job.

Aldi is doing a Mig welder this coming Sun for £123.99, looks fairly decent.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_9841.htm

Alternative to that, im sure screwfix do one at £79 under the brand "No Gas" or something similar. only goes upto 90amps though.
Old 20th May 2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrblue View Post
Yep ive got an arc welder too and most tools ill need for the job.

Aldi is doing a Mig welder this coming Sun for £123.99, looks fairly decent.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_9841.htm

Where did you get the £123.99 price from? Its showing as £140 on the site. Can my overdraft take it....i think so lol, looks like a half decent welder and it can take gas or gasless.

Im suprised that those insurance prices, much cheaper than i thought they would be, thanks very much for that.
Old 20th May 2009, 09:00 PM

HI
Welcome to the forum. I think that at a budget of only £2000. It would be tight. I built my car for around £3500. That’s with my donor costing £50.
My son is nineteen and has just started building a roadster. He got a sierra for £130. With most parts in good condition. He is using a 20liter zetec from a mondao that we bought for £180. With only 43000 miles on it. I think his in line to spend around £3500. On the build plus the IVA. Only time will tell.
Old 20th May 2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Where did you get the £123.99 price from? Its showing as £140 on the site. Can my overdraft take it....i think so lol, looks like a half decent welder and it can take gas or gasless.

Im suprised that those insurance prices, much cheaper than i thought they would be, thanks very much for that.
Sorry, my mistake. It is near £140 like you say.

Just checked out speedy tool hire and theyve got mig welders starting at £45 a week...not sure if it comes with any wire or anything though.
Old 20th May 2009, 09:43 PM

Im still waiting for my book to arrive, would you be able to tell me what thicknesses of metal needs to be welded? From what i've read the chassis is made out of 1.6mm box section which should be easily welded using an arc welder with a bit of practise.