Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st February 2011, 09:41 PM

Smile Bursting to tell

It's no good, I can't keep my little secret anymore & just bursting to spill the beans so here goes

After a lot of thought, soul searching & weighing things up in my head, my build will be taking a new direction !!??

I have decided to build a new chassis for my Roadster.
Some of you may remember that I gave this some though a good while back.

A combination of things have bought me to this point.

Never was very happy with the amount of light surface rust that accrued duing my first years progress, cut n built the chassis in a few short weeks and promptly lost almost a year due to illness :-(

I had the brilliant idea of painting the chassis Red !!, I have grown to loathe this with a passion.

No build photos !! Found & joined the forum after my bare bones chassis was built. ( I had no idea of the importance of build photos back then )

After viewing the cars of Ash & Gus at Exeter show, it was evident that my build was not going to turn out as I would like.

Nothing to do with " Keeping up with the neighbours ", I just want my build to turn out to the best of my ability & on the buget that I have available ( Sure you all know what I mean )

My second chassis will be built using a Handy Andy Flat Pack Chassis kit
Saw them for myself at Stoneleigh show last year & to say that I was well impressed would be an uderstatement.

The Handy Andy chassis will save me a huge amount of time, certainly going to save me some energy, a precious commodity for me most of the time.

Sorry Andy, quite happy to let you do the graft

I anticipate that this new task will not set my build back by a great deal of time.
Once my new Handy Andy chassis is fully welded, brackets & all, dependent on the weather i'll either be spray painting with 2K Epoxy mastic ( Prefered ) Or have it all blasted & powder coated.

Another major factor is that both of my lads have expressed an interest having my old chassis to build a track day car.
I just happen to have enough spare donor parts to make that a reality for them both.

That will explain why I have recently been fabricating new components

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 22nd February 2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 21st February 2011, 09:58 PM

Fair play Ronnie, I must say I'm already thinking of my next build and mine is barely half way done really. Keep us posted on your progress and that of your boys.

D.
Old 21st February 2011, 10:15 PM

I know what you mean about making parts for the car then thinking I don't like that too much. I've made my pedals twice so far and am now leaning towards some nice billet ali ones , not that any body's going to see them but at least I'll know whats there.
Whats the brand name of the 2k epoxy mastic I've not heard of that?

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 21st February 2011, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

epoxy mastic 121

http://www.rust.co.uk/

thats what i used, car has been on the road a year now with many runs out in the wet/salt and there are no signs of rust what so ever

ronnie its old news you told me the other day only kidding why have 1 when you can have two

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 21st February 2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
It's no good, I can't keep my little secret anymore & just bursting to spill the beans so here goes

After a lot of thought, soul searching & weighing things up in my head, my build will be taking a new direction !!??

I have decided to build a new chassis for my Roadster.
Some of you may remember that I gave this some though a good while back.

A combination of things have bought me to this point.

Never was very happy with the amount of light surface rust that accrued duing my first years progress.
I had the brilliant idea of painting the chassis Red !!, I have grown to loathe this with a passion.
No build photos !! Found & joined the forum after my bare bones chassis was built. ( I had no idea of the importance of build photos back then )

After viewing the cars of Ash & Gus at Exeter show, it was evident that my build was not going to turn out as I would like.

Nothing to do with " Keeping up with the neighbours ", I just want my build to turn out to the best of my ability & on the buget that I have available ( Sure you all know what I mean )

My second chassis will be built using a Handy Andy Flat Pack Chassis kit
Saw them for myself at Stoneleigh show last year & to say that I was well impressed would be an uderstatement.

The Handy Andy chassis will save me a huge amount of time, certainly going to save me some energy, a precious commodity for me most of the time.

Sorry Andy, quite happy to let you do the graft

I anticipate that this new task will not set my build back by a great deal of time.
Once my new Handy Andy chassis is fully welded, brackets & all, dependent on the weather i'll either be spray painting with 2K Epoxy mastic ( Prefered ) Or have it all blasted & powder coated.

Another major factor is that both of my lads have expressed an interest having my old chassis to build a track day car.
I just happen to have enough spare donor parts to make that a reality for them both.

That will explain why I have recently been fabricating new components

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
He,He.
i had a feeling you was gonna do that
you must of said it three times at least when we was slurpin tea
i guess i,m almost surprised it took you this long to go for it
and would i be right if i guessed that this version will have a .....
2.0L redtop in it ?????
thats what my money is on anyway
cheers les g
all the best mate
Old 21st February 2011, 10:37 PM

That stuff almost seems to be to good to be true. How did you apply it brush roller or spray it?

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 22nd February 2011, 06:08 AM

Good luck Ronnie, from what I have read about Andys' chassis kit I think you are onto a flyer of a start, hope your lads don't bend your original pride and joy

Arfon
Old 22nd February 2011, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the moral support chaps

I know some of you will think I am crazy, after all, with exception of the propshaft, I have all i need to complete my build & to be honest one months hard graft woud see the build on the Road !!??

Guess it's a man thing, I am sure we can all relate to how something that is not quite right in your mind can keep on nagging away at you.

Ash

Thank's for the link to the Epoxy Mastic 121
Bought mine via Ebay & only afterwards did I find that I could have got it cheaper by buying direct from Rust Busters.

Darn right mate, 2 must be better than 1 .... That's what the wifey tells me when she is bying even more clothes

The Epoxy Mastic is a great product & can be applied buy brush, roller or spray.
Very versatile too, can be put on very thick with a brush or roller or it can be sprayed on in several light coats & even sprayed very thick to give a slightly stippled finish.
This kind of product is used extensively in the shipyards to cope with the harsh marine enviroment.

Les

Methinks you know me too well mate & yes that Red Top engine is still calling to me

Keep you posted chaps

Old 22nd February 2011, 08:38 AM

I know what you mean Ronnie. If I am not 100% happy with something it will go over in my mind until I do something about it.

Quality is obviously something that means a great deal to you, if you can be this close to finishing, and have the courage to start over again. You have got to be happy with what you are producing.

After helping Gus with bits of his roadster it has made me even more fussy with my own build. Hopefully it will be as good as I want it to be in my head!!

Cheers

Dave

OTR 01/05/14 - 1.6 CVH, Type 9, Bike Carbs, Megajolt
Old 22nd February 2011, 08:57 AM

Thanks Dave

I blame Gus, he was the one who pushed me over the edge

The attention to detail of his car is incredible

I know very little of the chassis is on display but for me it is the foundation of the build.

How is your build progressing, the last pics I saw were very impressing