Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2015, 10:32 AM

Default OEM electronic speedo

Hi,
I'm having problem with my speedometer. I'm using the donor instrument cluster (Sierra 2,0i DOHC), and the speedometer is driven by a cable. The position of the cable connection on the gearbox is just right in front of a chassis tube, which implies a pretty tight bend. I think it is the reason why the speedometer needle “jumps” from 100 km/h, and does not give an accurate speed at higher speeds (sometimes, it even goes down!). The cable might be damaged in the sleeve, but even if I put a new one, it will get damaged very quickly, so it is not the solution.

I have a MT75 gearbox, and on this gearbox, there is an inbuilt electronic speedometer sensor. So I'd like to change my instrument cluster for a one with electronic speedometer. I could of course buy a set of instruments with speedo, tacho, and different gages, but I don't have the money for that and I'd like to keep is cheap.

I have checked second hand car parts website, and it looks like the Scorpio 95-98 cluster has an electronic speedo, so that could be the solution. But I don't know about the calibration. The Scorpio used the same gearbox as mine, but I don't know about the diff and wheels of the car the cluster will come from.

Is there an easy way to recalibrate an OEM speedo, or will it be mission impossible?

Any other idea or tip to solve my speedo problem?

Thanks.
Old 19th July 2015, 12:03 PM

Could you get a 90 degree speedo drive, like you can fit a Toyota one with the MX5 gearbox?

Finding out the Scorpio final drive ratio etc. shouldn't be an issue to figure out how different the Scorpio and Sierra specs are and whether you could swap from one to the other with no further work.

There are companies out there who can recalibrate speedos (the one I know of is Speedy Cables in Swansea). They charge £65 + VAT and up.

I think the cheapest and the easiest thing to do would be to get a 90 degree adapter. It could be pretty cheap if you can get it off a scrap car.
Old 20th July 2015, 08:08 AM

Thank you for the reply.
The 90° adapter is a great idea. But the only one I found for my gearbox is from Burton at £127
All the other ones I found are not for flanged cables...
Does anyone have another source for that?
Thanks.
Old 20th July 2015, 09:51 AM

Taxi company may be able to help as they calibrate for taxi meters,can you swap the electrical head from dash to dash ?

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 20th July 2015, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the input Paul.
what do you mean by "the electrical head".
My current dash is mechanical, and the idea was to replace it by an electronic one, using the electric sensor of the MT75.
Thanks.
Old 20th July 2015, 05:39 PM

That was the thought Sylvain,remove the dial itself and replace, not sure if the MT drive would fit the type 9 and would also question the ratio of the drive.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 8th August 2015, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Late model Granada had an electroic speedo IIRC. and should be easier to modify than a Scorpio one. The 2.9 Scorpio uses a 3.62 diff the same as the Sierra 2.9 although the speedo drive rate may be different on the Auto and Manual. ( if you can find a L8 Granada 4x4 with electronic speedo then your onto a faily good result I Guess.)

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 9th August 2015, 10:16 AM

Would a new after market one not be an option. They're built to accept a wide range of inputs and should be programmable.

Thats if theirs a cheap enough one available.

If not, there's a million and one bike speedos that could be adapted. They look nice and are generally cheap and plentiful.
Old 10th August 2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
Late model Granada had an electroic speedo IIRC. and should be easier to modify than a Scorpio one. The 2.9 Scorpio uses a 3.62 diff the same as the Sierra 2.9 although the speedo drive rate may be different on the Auto and Manual. ( if you can find a L8 Granada 4x4 with electronic speedo then your onto a faily good result I Guess.)

TT
Thank you for the tip TT.
For now, I bought a new drive cable and it is working very well. I could reroute the cable a little to have a nicer bend, but still, it is pretty tight, and I think it won't last for ever. But I'm not driving a lot with the Roadster, so it will do for now. But next time I have a problem, I will check this Granada option for adapting an electronic speedo on my cluster, very good info. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Would a new after market one not be an option. They're built to accept a wide range of inputs and should be programmable.

Thats if theirs a cheap enough one available.

If not, there's a million and one bike speedos that could be adapted. They look nice and are generally cheap and plentiful.
Thanks for the input. Yes, it would be very nice indeed. But if I put an aftermarket electronic speedo, I will need to change my complete instrument panel, and add a tacho, fuel gauge, water temp, oil pressure, etc. of the same range as the speedo. And redo my dashboard. That is an improvement I'll do one day on the car, but I definitely don't have the funds for that at the moment, so I need to keep my Sierra's instrument cluster, and adapt an electronic speedo on it when times comes. Also, I'm not a big fan of the motorbike or motorbike like digital dash. But it is just a question of taste there ;-) Thanks!
Old 11th August 2015, 10:05 AM

I don't know if this is of any use
http://www.maruhamotors.co.jp/miata/...rivengear.html
They make electronic senders for speedos
Ian