Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th May 2009, 06:27 PM

Default Bike Carbs on a pinto

Hi which bike carbs to fit a 2L pinto, i know nothing about bike carbs and was just wondering which would be best to fit. My pinto needs a air filter and throttle linkage which could add upto a fair bit,i was thinking it may be a better option, can make a manifold at work

sorry if this has been asked already

cheers

Richard
Old 7th May 2009, 11:05 PM

Default bike carbs

my 2.0L pinto is running bike carbs used fireblade on a GBS manifold once tuned on the dyno with a vernier cam pully got an extra 30bhp
Old 7th May 2009, 11:45 PM

GSXR 750 for me.
Clip position 3 (middle) at the moment after running very rich.
Sierra throtle cable modified with a cheap cable nipple from a bike shop and some home made brackets.
Pipercross filter (yes not cheap) but will go to a Pipercross airbox (very expensive), You make up your own airbox and pipe cold air from the front with a cone filter it wont cost to much
If you make your manifold at work you can bend the intake runners to fit, my one is straight so needed the carbs spacing out.

The bike carbs are fitted at an angle of around 35degs upwards, mine are not but this will be done soon.
Old 8th May 2009, 07:17 AM

Default Bike Carbs

Perhaps you can get some new Amal carburetors? A long time ago,about 41 years ago it was common to use Amal carburetors on cars,I put 4 x 28 mm Amal concentric carbs on a 2 Litre Triumph TR 3 A. Amal had a form that you filled out,cam timing exhaust,valve size etc and they supplied the carbs to me as close as they could get.It was a huge success,more power,better fuel economy,(Much better)I never had to tune them once,they got them as near as possible dead right,they sent them to me in NZ.Possibly they were 24 or 26 mm,I forget exactly.I see Amal are still in business,I wonder if they are still as efficient and obliging these days.For a typical 2 litre engine say 6000/7000 rpm they are probably as good as Webbers but at a fraction of the price,and you will be buying British!! David
Old 9th May 2009, 01:52 AM

Default bike carbs

I see that Amal concentrics are about 106/127 pounds in the UK,a US firm sells an "improved"(there claim) new PWK version for $125 US.I am out of touch with carb prices these days so I dont know if these are good deals or expensive??? I mounted my Amals with independent inlets,and because of there small size the inlets were level and straight in,easy to fit. David
Old 9th May 2009, 08:18 AM

think i am going to stick with carbs that are on located a throttle control for £20

many thanks